Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ac stopped working and light flashed

Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
RedBaron is on a distinguished road
RedBaron's Tacoma Gallery
ac stopped working and light flashed

While driving the ac light started to flash and ac did not cool. Tried recharging and it would not take one can. Now nothing happens at the ac switch.

Thanks for replies. Problem is not the relay. Was replaced with a known good one and the a/c still does not work. I suspect the high pressure switch. Does the system have to be evacuated to change that? The system seems to be fully charged.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Fan and defrost are still working? Just not a/c?
Had something similar on mine. Push and pull on the fan speed knob. Mine had bad contact on that knob that affected whether ac would come on.
Pop out the knob panel and just make sure plugged in. I ended up having to bend the metal tab inside to get more pressure for contact.

Or, check fuses?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem recently, and searched around on TW. It seems there is a known issue among Toyotas in general, where the A/C Fan Clutch relay goes out intermittently.

This is usually remedied by turning the A/C off and back on, but a replacement relay may be necessary.

ac stopped working and light flashed-engine_compartment.jpg

Here's some good info. from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
To follow up...I couldn't find a replacement relay at pepboys or autozone...and I'm not ready to pay the $90 I hear Toyota is charging for one SOOOOooo...

I swapped the TOWING TAIL lights relay with it since I'm not towing anything right now. A/C works just fine, but it had only done the b blinking thing twice before so I suppose I'll never know for certain if that was it.

But...for anyone who'd be interested...this relay (the A/C clutch control relay, part no 90987-02028) is a REAL common problem for Toyota's. For some reason Toyota dealers want to charge heinous price for it, and it's just a SPST 12 volt relay using industry standard pin-outs and form. Mazda sells one that works just fine...their p/no is B115. If I can't find one for the normal price of $15 or so I'll be looking for a Mazda dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
Thepartsbin.com has a relay referred to as "AC fan clutch relay" for 17.95 ea. Their part number is W0133-1762256. its a Denso relay.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I saw this and immediately went looking for your post Ben. Did the relay fix it?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
09GreenSugarTaco is on a distinguished road
Marines: 3/6
Name: Willis
09GreenSugarTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am having an AC issue. The AC always works on full blast but when it's set on another setting it turns on and off on its own. Would this be the relay issue? I had posted on another thread and was told to check the blower fix on this website. Thanks for any help
Old 07-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that if you have a good splashdown in the water. Cycle the A/C switch, fixes it immediately.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
09GreenSugarTaco is on a distinguished road
Marines: 3/6
Name: Willis
09GreenSugarTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I cycle through them but usually takes a little while for it to start working. Usually while driving down the highway it will stop and then start back up. It seems to be fine after I drive for a while. It did rain pretty hard a couple weeks ago. Not sure if that has something to do with it. Makes me curious now that you say that.