Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Service finds Oil in #4

Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
crippledeg is on a distinguished road
crippledeg's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Service finds Oil in #4

Recent service found oil in my #4 Sparkplug hole. Due to the fact there is no oil retention ring, ie a O-ring to seal. The Toyota dealership looked for every possible option only to find no explanation besides an improper fitment or a bad cylinder head.
As they try to thumb through the delicate pages of the warranty to find a solution. I figured I ask here before i'm stuck in between a rock and hard place.
So has anyone heard or had this problem?
It's a 2002 Ext Cab Prerunner Six cyl. 92,000miles
Old 02-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to Tacoma World!

Did they do a compresion test? Maybe the oil is comming from a valve? FWIW, A friend of mine had oil in his #4 cyl. and it turned out the EGR valve was bad causeing oil to go into that cyl.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

Army: Chinook Crew 101st ABN
BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
I can understand them doing a compression check to see if the piston rings were worn and letting oil get by but I can't see how oil in the cylinder could be caused by a bad valve. A bad valve seal (most likely the intake valve seal) on the other hand could cause oil to leak down the stem of a valve and eventually into a cylinder, but a compression check can not detect a bad valve seal. A compression check would not spot a bad EGR valve either, and I cannot see how an EGR valve would cause oil to get in the cylinders since it strictly deals with the exhaust system. Now if there was oil in all of the cylinders, or a lot of oil in the intake manifold as well then I would say there could be an issue with the PCV system (maybe you meant PVC valve instead of EGR valve). Look for oil on the back of your throttle body or in the intake hose. If you see oil in there then you either need a new PVC valve (I'm not sure where they are located or how the system operates on this engine), or you will probably have low compression an a few cylinders which is causing blow-by and the blow-by is causing pressure to build up in your crankcase and forcing oil into the PVC system. If there is no oil in the intake manifold or tube then my bets would be valve seal if compression is good in #4 or bad rings if compression is low.

Does the truck smoke when you drive or accelerate? Does it smoke a bit when you first start it but then stop smoking after you drive for a bit?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did mean the PCV. My Bad. I always like to see a comp test incase any exesive carbon has built up in that cyl.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Still For Sale
BUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to allBUK 0H5 is a name known to all

BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
Compression test for excessive carbon Your going to have to explain that one to me.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUK 0H5 View Post
Compression test for excessive carbon Your going to have to explain that one to me.
I was told that if there is exesive carbon on the piston, it would raise the combustion pressure......carbon build up from oil being burned..... Was I told wrong??
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
yes to much carbon will raise the compression but you are talking alot and the check engine light should have come on pointing to the problem causing the carbon build up. these engines almost run to hot and high compression to have carbon problems.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Still For Sale

BUK 0H5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I was told that if there is exesive carbon on the piston, it would raise the combustion pressure......carbon build up from oil being burned..... Was I told wrong??
Yes, that will raise your compression ratio, but a compression test does not show compression ratios. It only shows that you cylinder has the ability to compress air.