1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen power steering problems, help please?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by garrettnb, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    garrettnb

garrettnb [OP] Canadian Ambassador

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD w/33s on a 4" lift
    I seem to consistently have powering steering problems. I have big tires which no doubt put some strain on the system, but I'm not the only one with 33x12.50s on this truck so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I have a diff drop and some "custom" lines because of that. But now I'm not even sure what's leaking. This is so frustrating as I seem to have these problems since I bought mine 2 years ago.

I bought an adapter which changes the toyota 16x1.5 metric thread on the rack to a JIC -6 fitting, and then put a 90 fitting onto this which attaches to the steering line. Then due to the diff drop there is very little room for the fitting and it seems to last for a while, then due to the rack moving a little bit with bumps and steering input it makes enough contact with the plate infront of it to break something and then it leaks. I just put in another different fitting which doesn't even fit and I'm considering cutting part of the drop bracket out of the way to increase clearance for the fitting. But I REALLY don't want to do this. The worst part about this is that I don't even know where the leak is currently, it could be from the rack directly. Some days it's a few drops overnight, other days it's a lot more.

Can anyone offer some advice? At this point I'd be happy with nearly anything.

2000 TRD 4WD 3.4

2. Jul 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Without pictures it is a little hard to get a visual but let me throw something at you. You have a lot going on with the adapter etc which makes it bulky and not very forgiving. To me I would be running a more stock steel line config where they will relocate your line connections and also allow some give against the inlets to the rack. Absorb the stress in a different location and get more room around that tight area. Make your adapter to the steel lines.

Just a thought

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I tried to take some photos but it's really tight in there. The problem is that the stock high pressure inlet fitting had been modified and was leaking like a sieve when I bought the truck (so I knew this going in). But the problem is that the toyota female fitting on the rack is is very very uncommon. Ideally I need a 90 male to female connection that has the toyota threads on it so that I can adapt it in the direction it needs to go and this would give some more room and this wouldn't be an issue. But as far as I can see - this does not exist. Although they are all flared connections, I think I'm going to try some high pressure permatex on the threads and see if I can alleviate any leaks. I love this truck, but right now I'm so frustrated I can hardly look at it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Ahhhhhhhh. That makes to so much more complex for a fix. Is the rack inlet modded I.e. enlarged or different threads o r the sealing surface in the rack?
    You could be looking at a ruined rack itself as a result of the setup. I would be trying to think of another approach trying to get the stress off the fittings.
    I do wish u luck.

5. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    No the inlet threads have not been modified, nor is there any issue (to my knowledge) with the sealing surface itself.

16x1.5 fittings are just near impossible to find it seems. I'm going to attempt to take some photos tomorrow when I take it apart.

6. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Have you checked local junkyards?

Also, SAS...Problem fixed. :D

7. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    garrettnb

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    I would love to SAS. But ya know... Theres a list a mile long that is holding me back.

8. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I understand more then you know. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top