Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rough idle after rock sliders were welded on

Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Rough idle after rock sliders were welded on

Does anyone know why my 2001 3.4 DCSB would have a rough idle after having some rock sliders welded to the frame? Any reasons y'all can think of would help!

It ran and idled fine up until I drove off from the shop I had the sliders welded at. It started up just fine and idled fine before I left the garage bay. Once I got to the first light I had to make a complete stop, that's when I felt the engine start to idle rough, almost like its gonna bog out but not quite that bad. Once I accelerate its fine and runs smooth as it always has. At every idle it would be rough. Since the exhaust is so close to the frame where the slider plates were welded, I thought maybe that could be it but after glancing it over, everything looks the same.

Could the heat of the welding cause damage to the exhaust system? Also, would a cat converter issue cause a rough idle?

It seems to coincidental to have been running fine before, then to idle rough after.

Any suggestions would help
Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I always say that any time you weld on a frame, disconnect the battery, and the ECU. Welding can sometimes do some weird stuff. Perhaps disconnect the battery and allow the ECU to reset?
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I always say that any time you weld on a frame, disconnect the battery, and the ECU. Welding can sometimes do some weird stuff. Perhaps disconnect the battery and allow the ECU to reset?
^^^^This not alot of people know this anytime your welding on your vehicle make sure you disconnect the battery
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes they did have the battery disconnected. I'll disconnect again and see if that will help any thing. Thanks!

Any other recommendations are welcome
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just learning here please ~ How would welding affect things if the battery is still connected? I don't know enough to understand.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Just learning here please ~ How would welding affect things if the battery is still connected? I don't know enough to understand.
current will always take the path of least resistance
Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
How long has then been going on, resetting the ECU will cause it to run rough and low idle for a bit but usually clears up after a few minutes.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
How long has then been going on, resetting the ECU will cause it to run rough and low idle for a bit but usually clears up after a few minutes.
I'm hoping this is the case. Before I disconnected the battery again, I started it up and took her for a spin and everything was fine, idles like normal. I'm guessing the ECU was ressetng itself when I first took off from the shop. Now all is good. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Welding uses very high current to create the weld pool. As mentioned it takes the path of least resistance of course, which is usually fine, but it is not uncommon for voltage spikes to occur, which can fry electronics. Disconnecting the battery and ECU fully prevents this from happening.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes09 View Post
current will always take the path of least resistance
Quote:
Welding uses very high current to create the weld pool. As mentioned it takes the path of least resistance of course, which is usually fine, but it is not uncommon for voltage spikes to occur, which can fry electronics. Disconnecting the battery and ECU fully prevents this from happening.

OOoooOooooo.....Okay I get it now. Thanks! Sorry being a newb..
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, lots of electricity can piss off your ECM. Always disconnect your battery when welding on or near your vehicle.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
This.

Wife's Rav4 is horrible... takes a good 4 or 5 restart cycles before it's back to normal. First cycle, she has to keep her foot on the gas to keep it from dying.