Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Extra cig adapters - should I be worried about always on?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Extra cig adapters - should I be worried about always on?

I spent Saturday adding a pair of cig lighter plugs (basically this) under the dash so that I can 'hardwire' the two GPS units I have. The power goes straight to a Blue Sea fuse block in the engine bay.
By wiring it this way, the plugs are constantly on.

What I would like to do is make the power cut out when a door opens when the vehicle is off (the same way our headlights turn off).

My feeble brain is imagining I can find somewhere to tap into the switch on the driver's door (but how do you keep it off until the ignition comes back on?), or maybe the headlight wire, then run that to a relay.

can you recommend the safest way to do this, and what I might need for a relay? I understand the basics of a relay, but haven't wired any yet
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Install a small relay, or make them switchable. Relays are fairly easy to install although I've never installed a relay without a switch to the accessory.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I guess I'm trying to find the wire to tap for the relay
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Bob Lob Law
ComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shedComeAndTakeIt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
ComeAndTakeIt's Tacoma Gallery
What about the relay for the windows? You could use that as the "signal" for the relay
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDurhamTaco View Post
What about the relay for the windows? You could use that as the "signal" for the relay
That one only works for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
May I ask WHY you want the power to the adapters to go off when you cut off key and open the doors? Unless something is actually plugged in and drawing power, there is no real reason to have the adapters turn off, other than personal preference. I will look through the wiring diagrams and info I have to see if this can be done without affecting other components.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Nuggety

It's convenience so that I don't have to unplug the GPS units each time. I might eventually do an LVD if I can't figure this out.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Nuggety

I haven't found a schematic for that, other than the service troubleshooting. Thought I'd ask first before ripping into things.

Products Discussed in this Thread