Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

" Under load / uphill " vibration

Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #41
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
maybe its due for a fluid change?
Done , and wouldn't explain that it's been there all along
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #42
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes09 View Post
does it do it in 4 wheel drive..
Yes , doesn't change it

Tried that already
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #43
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
does weight in the bed change it?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #44

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
does weight in the bed change it?
That is tough to answer , I would lean towards no because it occured before I added my cap and tools however it occured recently fairly severely on a road trip without my tools onboard ( 250lbs ish )

In that case though , it could just be speed related as I am never at highway speeds locally
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
M'kay

Rigged up the GoPro , no evidence of excessive movement in the tranny mount

I honked my horn everytime I felt the vibration so I could have a reference while watching the video playback and nothing about the tranny mount seems to stand out

I did however record an awful " dry metal " rattle noise that seemed to come and go

I'm going to have my mechanic friend watch the video and go from there

Let us know what you find out on the dry metallic rattle. I've had that for years now. Only happens at certain combinations of rpm+speed+loading.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #46

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
Let us know what you find out on the dry metallic rattle. I've had that for years now. Only happens at certain combinations of rpm+speed+loading.
Will do
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you ever checked your pinion angle?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #48
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
x2, I thought it was the exhaust system rattling around but it didnt concern me too much
Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #49

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you ever checked your pinion angle?
Yes , I've done all that
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #50

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerhump View Post
x2, I thought it was the exhaust system rattling around but it didnt concern me too much
With the mic right under the engine , it kinda sounds cyclic like something is turning and there is no lubrication
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #51
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #52
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future

Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
I can't say I have this vibe or at least I don't notice it. I know little about the toyota 8.4" rear end so I pose this theory for those who know to set me right.

Thinking about your situations when it occurs you stated in is under a slight load and or climbing a hill. Any chance there is any type of slop in the rear end gears? or at certain speeds and angles that maybe the gears are not receiving proper fluid redistribution which is creating more friction inside the rear end? Only thing wrong with this theory is when you lifted and no change, or adding weight like you have stated.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #53

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering if it's a bent axle but I would feel that at all speeds
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #55
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
With the mic right under the engine , it kinda sounds cyclic like something is turning and there is no lubrication
does it sound almost like loose change in the dryer?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #56

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrPebkac View Post
That doesn't make since unless you had a bent axle since day one.
exactly

It has to be something since it was stock though , and the wheels , tires , tire sizes and suspension have all changed but the vibe remains
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #57

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerhump View Post
does it sound almost like loose change in the dryer?
Kinda , yes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #58
cheese'd out of my mind

Quote:
Kinda , yes
hmm, then i'll just have to see what you find out with the video. I really only notice it when im going from 0-5mph.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #59
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future

Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
Do you remember how the truck was driven when breaking it in? maybe it is how your gears hardened and how a load effects them at certain speeds?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #60

is this vibration getting worse with mileage?