Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

" Under load / uphill " vibration

Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #81
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OK ,

had a chance to get some more accurate driveline angles today

This is parked on a level concrete slab

Front pinion

Rear is 4.50 degrees UP

Front section of driveshaft it 2.70 degrees off of square to the front pinion

Rear section of driveshaft is 0.30 degrees off of front section

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #82
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will remove the 3* shims and see if that improves matters
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #83

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprice66 View Post
Could it be a vibration because of a resonance at a certain engine/transmission speed/rpm combo ?
I think it's this
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #84
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprice66 View Post
Could it be a vibration because of a resonance at a certain engine/transmission speed/rpm combo ?

Loose heat shield hardware ?

Loose nut at the steering wheel ?

Prayers for you and your family
I have a vibration and noise that comes when I have the cruise on and climbing an overpass on the road. Mine is coming from behind the glovebox somewhere.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #85
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
I have a vibration and noise that comes when I have the cruise on and climbing an overpass on the road. Mine is coming from behind the glovebox somewhere.
I don't know how much of a noise/vibration your talking about but...

Check that the cabin air filter access door is snapped shut all the way. Our Highlander had a rattle in the glovebox area for a week before I discovered that the filter door wasn't clipped all the way shut. It had somehow sounded like something a lot bigger and heavier.

Just another thought, something easy enough to check and rule out.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #86
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
I don't know how much of a noise/vibration your talking about but...

Check that the cabin air filter access door is snapped shut all the way. Our Highlander had a rattle in the glovebox area for a week before I discovered that the filter door wasn't clipped all the way shut. It had somehow sounded like something a lot bigger and heavier.

Just another thought, something easy enough to check and rule out.
Yep it is snapped in securely.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I swapped my carrier bearing and my vibrations under load are gone. I think that the rubber in the carrier was allowing for too much movement and caused my vibration/shutter issues.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #90

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I swapped my carrier bearing and my vibrations under load are gone. I think that the rubber in the carrier was allowing for too much movement and caused my vibration/shutter issues.
Interesting
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #91
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Does this mean you're never getting that new light bar installed?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #92
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting
With the new bearing installed, there was noticably less play in the rubber surround. We'll see how long it lasts but initial results were great! I bought a Dorman bearing from Rock Auto (wouldn't recommend it, it crapped out in 300 miles, replacement is on it's way). In the 300 miles, I tried to do everything I could to replicate the vibrations and shuttering I had before and it wouldn't do it.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #93

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With the new bearing installed, there was noticably less play in the rubber surround. We'll see how long it lasts but initial results were great! I bought a Dorman bearing from Rock Auto (wouldn't recommend it, it crapped out in 300 miles, replacement is on it's way). In the 300 miles, I tried to do everything I could to replicate the vibrations and shuttering I had before and it wouldn't do it.
Cool info , thanks Mike
Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #94

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I'm going to update this. Dorman bearings have a lifetime warranty so Rock Auto sent me a new one. That one lasted a little longer to just about 1,000 miles before it started squeeling again. I got sick of Dorman and bit the bullet and bought an OEM bearing for a cool $150. Well, the take off shutter came back when I swapped the bearings out. All vibrations and shutters were gone with the Dorman, the under load shutter came back with the OEM bearing. They're not as bad as it was before, but still noticeable.