Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

" Under load / uphill " vibration

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
" Under load / uphill " vibration

I have been experiencing a vibration since new that occurs at varying speeds but only when the vehicle is under a slight load , usually climbing a slight uphill portion of smooth pavement .

I only noticed it at around 40-44 mph locally , but I was on a road trip and it occured again , fairly severely at 65-70 mph over the weekend

The vibration seems to come from behind / under my seat , the steering wheel does not shake side to side during the vibration , but the head rests on the front seats can be felt to move forward / backward .

I originally thought CB carrier wobbling but I set up a GoPro to film it and it does not appear to move oddly .

This has occured through many changes in my truck from stock / stock wheels + tires to lifted and larger tires

The common denominator seems to be the slight uphill load on the truck .

Is there any component that would vibrate in these conditions ?

FWIW , my driveshaft has been replaced under warranty for signs of cracking near the union at the CB .

Tires have been road force balanced , OEM Sport alloy wheels have been replaced for another warranty issue ( bubbling )

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance .
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Noob search, geez..

Actually I would torque your u-bolts, also there is a transmission mount TSB that I would look in to.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Noob search, geez..

Actually I would torque your u-bolts, also there is a transmission mount TSB that I would look in to.
This ^^^^

Aim the camera at the tail shaft output of the tranny, and see if you can reproduce the issue.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Noob search, geez..

I already read all the vibration threads

and my U bolts are torqued to 85 ftlbs
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^^^

Aim the camera at the tail shaft output of the tranny, and see if you can reproduce the issue.
K

I did look for cracks in the transmission isolators and found none
Old 07-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
K

I did look for cracks in the transmission isolators and found none
I don't think cracks are the issue, but rather too soft of a mount.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't think cracks are the issue, but rather too soft of a mount.
K , I'll rig up the GoPro and check it out
Old 07-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Ghost!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Any other input ?

Won't get around to rigging up the GoPro till at least tomorrow
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Any other input ?

Won't get around to rigging up the GoPro till at least tomorrow
One step at a time. That's the most probable cause given the description you gave. Get off your ass, and mount the camera for verification.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One step at a time. That's the most probable cause given the description you gave. Get off your ass, and mount the camera for verification.
Hey Captain Butthole , I wasn't doubting you , I have to work today and part of tomorrow
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey Captain Butthole , I wasn't doubting you , I have to work today and part of tomorrow
You don't work 25 hours a day. Im sure you have 30 mins. to beat your junk, so instead of working your wrist, install the camera so we can help you.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't work 25 hours a day. Im sure you have 30 mins. to beat your junk, so instead of working your wrist, install the camera so we can help you.
Tomorrow is camera day
Old 07-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

It is now, the day after tomorrow. We still ahve no video, or update from our OZ-T.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe he's busy installing his front BUMBER. Vid's can wait.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would second (or third) the rear engine mount (that's what Toyota calls it even though it's not connected to the engine directly). Only other thing I would check is u-joints while you're under the truck.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah sorry boys , got busy , didn't even drive the truck at all today

Hopefully tomorrow
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would second (or third) the rear engine mount (that's what Toyota calls it even though it's not connected to the engine directly). Only other thing I would check is u-joints while you're under the truck.
My U jounts are all new from having my driveshaft replaced 6 months or so ago
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
My U jounts are all new from having my driveshaft replaced 6 months or so ago
Doesn't matter how old they are, if they are not torqued correctly. Check Da Torques.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Doesn't matter how old they are, if they are not torqued correctly. Check Da Torques.
Sure

My vibe has been there since day one though , so unless these ones and the old ones are the problem , I'm leaning towards it being something else