1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who is responsible for the problem (Story)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BamaToy1997, Jul 18, 2013.

?

Who is responsible for fixing the problem?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2013.
  1. Pete's Salvage

35 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. Randy's Auto Repair

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Owner of truck (Just part of buying used parts)

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Other (Please state in reply)

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I would say it was the owners risk of used parts, only if there wasn't a 90 day warranty. Depending on what that warranty entails, I would assume you would replace those seals if you are going to offer a warranty of any sort?

2. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Here is a bit of theory to throw in as my opinion. If a salvage yard thinks a pump bushing and seal should be replaced before installing a transmission, should they not notify the customer of this? Perhaps the customer was going to install the transmission on his own?

Also, if this were the case, why wouldn't the salvage yard replace the bushing and seal themselves, if they were going to offer a warranty? Just food for thought here.

3. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    X2

4. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    HIst8ofMIND

HIst8ofMIND Defend Hawaii

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    My thoughts exactly.

5. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    So Petes salvage basically sold a defective part. It doesnt work as it should. You should be able to exchange/ return or whatever.

If checking the broken part is a visual thing and its something Randys could visually inspect to make sure it would work propperly, then they are also at fault. If tis something that needed to be tested and not common sense when replacing a trans. then all the blame would fall on Petes salvage for selling a defective part.

im not familiar with trans replacement so Im not sure if this is something that Randys auto should have done before the install.

6. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    I don't take it as you being a smart ass at all. It's just my prior experience when doing any swap to take possibly over-precautionary steps like replacing common low cost seals as cheap insurance for more expensive potential problems(i.e. labor for doing things twice). If I worked at a shop still, I would without question at least recommend to a customer to go ahead and replace $40.00 worth of seals to most likely alleviate any potential problems that would be a subject of dispute for a shop installing junkyard parts with a warranty. Let it then be the customers call and I would be covered.

7. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    HIst8ofMIND

HIst8ofMIND Defend Hawaii

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    $50 part. But take into account the labor of dissembling the transmission.

Did the quote on the install include taking apart the transmission and checking it over?

8. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    here is what should be done, take out tranny, return to salvage yard, they gave the ninety day warranty on a used part, at that point, they are the warranty providers, they know the odds of self install are high, but they still would honor the warranty, I assume it is in writing, small print may have to be read....

return for refund or exchange for one that doesn't leak....original seller (salvage yard) has to step up...cheapskate truck/car owner has to wait...he would be waiting if he installed it himself........

the labor for all this may be the gorilla in the room.....

reminds me of the time I had to install three windshields, the first two I cracked putting in, the salvage yard had a field day with me....a new windshield would have been cheaper, but once you start going down that road........

just sayin.....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  9. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Labor time to R&R the transmission in question is 5 hours.
    Labor time to R&R and replace the bushing in the pump is 6.6 hours.
    Extrapolate for the transmission not being installed, Labor to replace pump bushing and seal is 1.6 hours.

10. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    Benson X

Benson X My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Exactly correct, but I also feel that you aren't sharing the whole story.

What does the WARRANTY say? Maybe post that up so people can form a more objective opinion.

If the truck owner purchased the salvaged tranny under false-pretense and under the assumption that NOTHING would need to be serviced or replaced, then I would hold Pete's responsible.

If he purchased it w/o reading the fine-print of the warranty that may indicate the recommendation to replace the seals/bearings prior to install, then it's on the owner for not informing Randy's.

Maybe the warranty states that Pete's will cover replacement/repair costs of the transmission w/in 90-days due to mechanical failure IF installed by their "approved" network of transmission or repair shops.

There's too many unknowns, and you are asking people's opinions w/o giving us all the details.

11. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Is it a salvage yard's responsibility to verify the working nature of the parts? I.e. -- if someone wanted to purchase said transmission just to rip it apart, why would they need to clarify whether the pump bushing and seal needed to be replaced?

If it is advertised (a salesman says it is working) as functional, then yes. But if they are just selling the parts, no. The warranty just means that the existing parts won't fail.

If the warranty is for a fully-functional transmission as a whole, they are responsible for the bushing and seal replacements and any damages/labor incurred by the result of their faulty (but warranted) product.

12. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I agree that adding $40 in seals would not be too much money to ask of a customer, but you also have to take into account the labor time that it takes to remove the pump and replace the bushing. As indicated above, that is 1.6 hours just for the front seal and bushing.

13. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    ^^^this. This still seems horribly novice for a shop to install a salvaged transmission w/o offering or recommending to replace the necessary seals.

14. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    tostidos

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Disassembling to any point can void a warranty. Say something else had happened and the shop had said something internal had failed. If it came back they half dismantled the transmission they are SOL on the warranty.

15. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    If Randy's would have had the forethought to recommend some basic pre-installation maintenance, this all could have been avoided. If customer refuses and says install anyway, it's between customer and Pete's. If customer pursues Pete's to pay for pre-install parts, it's between them to work it out. Covers Randy's and does not expose them to liabilities.

16. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Obviously this is not a Pete's and Randy's situation. Everyone should know by now I am the "Randy's" in question. I have tried to post only general information and try my best to keep my personal opinions from being interjected. It is difficult to do, as I can only post information that I know.

Agreed, there are some unknowns posted. I mentioned that I would give more info as we went. The idea here was to get everyone at the same page of what happened at day one, and then progress from there.

To answer the question on the warranty, the customer never said anything at all about a warranty when he dropped off the transmission. I told him, as I tell ALL customers who bring me salvage parts (engines, transmissions, axle assemblies, etc) that all parts are installed "As it, with no warranties expressed or implied" and this is on the bottom of every work order where the customer signs before I open the hood of any vehicle. It was only AFTER we had an issue that the owner told me that there was a 90 day warranty, and that he was told just that. No details, just that "the transmission had a 90 day warranty". I should have mentioned that up front, My mistake. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  17. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    l SWAY l

l SWAY l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sway
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4WD
    Some of this & some of that...
    IMO.. the above statement is in the opinion of Randy and does not show that the warranty was indeed given to the owner of the vehicle. For the sake of argument, if Pete's actually did give a 90 day warranty, it is on the Owner of the vehicle to resolve the failure with the seller. Buying anything with a warranty shows the seller is aware of the condition of the item and is guarantying its quality to the stipulation of the warranty. Randy's shop should be paid in full for time spent on the install.

18. Jul 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    If it's a used part from a salvage yard that has a 90 day warranty (from the " SALVAGE"yard) It shouldn't be "Randy's" problem. If it was new purchased from "Randy's" I would say it was "Randy's" problem. Since it was used, with a warranty from the place it was purchased, I would go after the place I purchased the used part from, and at least have them cover the part, I would push to have them cover labor also. But if they don't cover labor, they should at least cover the part. The price you pay for buying used, sometimes you win, sometimes you gotta suck it up! Fact of life! It sucks, but we've all been there!

19. Jul 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    i would expect the salvage transmission to be a "drop-in" part, as in, needing no parts, and in good working order. further, with the 90-day warranty, i would tell petes that randy is dropping it out, i was bringing it to him, AND he would be paying for labor starting with when randy dropped it out, until my truck was driving down the road on the 91st day.

20. Jul 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Sucks man, knowing that it's you and you're rep/money on the line, I would ask to review the documents that Pete's provided to the owner along with the BOS. You are covered, since you have that disclaimer on you WO, but I know it's an ethical issue as well.

Have you contacted Pete's directly to discuss possible options to make it right?

Products Discussed in

To Top