Good 15 93.75%
Not the best, but OK 1 6.25%
Bad 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
TacoMan1911 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan1911's Tacoma Gallery
Should I have done this to my Truck?

I have a 2008 2.7l reg cab base 4x2. Just did a rear diff fluid change at 40,000 miles. I used Mobil 1 75 90w gear oil. The manual says 3.5 qts., but it took all 4!!. Just started to come out of the filler hole so i stopped. Do i need to add anything like lsd fluid? Also, is synthetic ok to use in my type of diff?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
YNWA
adanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shedadanfon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adan
adanfon's Tacoma Gallery
You should be ok...if you start hearing any chattering from the diff you should add the LSD additive. If you still have your window sticker(marooney, not sure of that's correct spelling) it should say there whether or not you have an limited slip diff. Or you could look through the fill hole to see if the diff is open(non LSD)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmasteradan View Post
You should be ok...if you start hearing any chattering from the diff you should add the LSD additive. If you still have your window sticker(marooney, not sure of that's correct spelling) it should say there whether or not you have an limited slip diff. Or you could look through the fill hole to see if the diff is open(non LSD)
I read that most lsd diffs have a sticker on them that says "lsd fluid only"
Mine doesnt say that anywhere, but it is a 5 year old truck, so maybe they didnt put that on mine?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
No mechanical LSD (and thus no need for LSD additive) unless you have a 2008 or earlier TRD Sport.

Stated capacities are for reference only. Always fill the oil to the height of the fill plug. Synthetic is good.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
I read that most lsd diffs have a sticker on them that says "lsd fluid only"
Mine doesnt say that anywhere, but it is a 5 year old truck, so maybe they didnt put that on mine?
Yes that is true they did have that very sticker on them. Usually water or salt or corrosion wears the sticker away and it falls off. You might be able to look through the fill hole with a pen light. But it will still be hard to see if it's an open or clutched diff. If you do hear chattering from the rear when turning then def. buy a tube of friction modifier. Before adding the whole tube drain a little bit of diff. fluid out.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
I could be off, but I don't think they made a 4 cyl base with LSD... Suspect you're fine.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
You're fine. I fill mine till the fluid comes out of the fill hole then plug it.

I've heard there are issues with the 2005-2008 Mechanical LSD not liking synthetic, but throw some LSD additive in it when you hear some chatter from your rear end. If chatter continues, swap to old fashion dino oil with LSD additive.

09+ Have an electronic LSD so no need to LSD additive
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Fluid specifications for most all vehicles are an accurate estimation, however lots of things can affect how much fluid it ACTUALLY takes to fill something up. Truck level, angle of lean, etc. I have never seen a differential or any other component like that have any problems by simply filling it a small amount over. You should be fine.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Ravic is on a distinguished road

Name: TP
Ravic's Tacoma Gallery
A friend of mine filled his S-10 diff with bar and chain lube about a year ago.... he was kind of a putz and said "they are the same thing dude, they just try to get over on you and charge more for diff fluid.." I never bothered actually checking his logic.. and to this date im sure he was absolutely wrong. None the less that shit head is still cruising around in his bar and chain S-10. (I still say its a matter of time.)

Sooooo this really proves fucko with exception of that my friend is a lucky jackass anf gives you pretty good chances of being in the clear compared to him.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravic View Post
A friend of mine filled his S-10 diff with bar and chain lube about a year ago.... he was kind of a putz and said "they are the same thing dude, they just try to get over on you and charge more for diff fluid.." I never bothered actually checking his logic.. and to this date im sure he was absolutely wrong. None the less that shit head is still cruising around in his bar and chain S-10. (I still say its a matter of time.)

Sooooo this really proves fucko with exception of that my friend is a lucky jackass anf gives you pretty good chances of being in the clear compared to him.
Hahahahahaha!!