Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2012 Weight Reduction Mod

Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Someone who isn't having fun at the expense of someone else's impending bad decisions..

I'd like to see the OP shed some weight if that's his goal. But I don't think he knows how to do it, and the suggestions made to him (and his acknowledging that those are the mods he was considering already) show that he has the complete wrong idea of how to accomplish this. And your suggestions say the same about you.

Tube doors are for visibility for wheeling, they're not safe for on-road use and I still suspect to be legally questionable for street use. Sure they're lighter than stock doors, but they aren't a door, and a door is more than a way to get into a car. You will lose a ton of MPG by removing the doors. You will lose the structural integrity of the body by removing the roof and not adding WAY more weight in strengthening. You will lose MPG by deleting a tailgate, or replacing it with a net.

This is common sense stuff. Hacking up a truck is not something people suggest to other people when neither know what they're doing.

Aye Aye Captain! So what are your suggested weight reduction/mpg ideas because I haven't seen you post any..
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #22
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Aye Aye Captain! So what are your suggested weight reduction/mpg ideas because I haven't seen you post any..
I'm not contributing to ideas because he has the smallest Tacoma available already. If he wants better mileage, he should buy a car.

I'm just making sure he realizes he is not thinking about it in the correct way, and taking the advice of someone who thinks it's smart to run tube doors and add a sunroof to cut weight would be the next worst idea he could have. Sorry you don't agree, but cut your roof out and watch your cab warp before you finish. If he's here for serious suggestions and those are your offerings, I don't want him ruining a 2012 Tacoma because he thinks you know what you're talking about.

Do you? I hope not.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
OP if you're removing doors and bumpers check your local laws. Around here you must have at least a drivers side mirror and front bumper.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
FWIW, I think not destroying a truck was a pretty decent suggestion.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
One feasible suggestion would be replacing the rear windscreen with lexan. What thickness you'd need I don't now because too thin will bow which can effect airflow.

Other things could be:
- If you want aftermarket wheels find the lightest possible in the size you want

- when you buy tires, tirerack.com usually has the weight of the tire under specs

- removing "luxury" plastics from inside the cab, door trim, trim behind seats, glove box, cubby doors in bed

- titanium lug nuts

- lightweight aftermarket aluminum drive shaft

- remove running boards if it came with them

- remove tow hitch if you don't use it

- lightweight battery, make sure cold cranking amps are the same if not more

These are some more intelligent ideas, but remember with weight savings comes $$$.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
One feasible suggestion would be replacing the rear windscreen with lexan. What thickness you'd need I don't now because too thin will bow which can effect airflow.

Other things could be:
- If you want aftermarket wheels find the lightest possible in the size you want

- when you buy tires, tirerack.com usually has the weight of the tire under specs

- removing "luxury" plastics from inside the cab, door trim, trim behind seats, glove box, cubby doors in bed

- titanium lug nuts

- lightweight aftermarket aluminum drive shaft

- remove running boards if it came with them

- remove tow hitch if you don't use it

- lightweight battery, make sure cold cranking amps are the same if not more

These are some more intelligent ideas, but remember with weight savings comes $$$.
And these are suggestions that are not retarded for saving weight.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
+1.

Also OP check out the 4 banger fuel sipping thread for like minded folks.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Tube doors? Net tailgate? Cutting roof to add a sunroof?

This is a terrible idea.
Tube doors? What is gonna happen when it rains?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFimb View Post
This is what i'm planning to do , I saw a picture online with tube doors, but I didn't think of the netting tailgate until i started dreaming about my future truck
I'm already using synthetic and check my tires frequently.
I reduced engine load by removing the power steering and air conditioning.

Removed all of the extra pulleys and installed a short belt that only runs the alternator and the water pump.

If you're going to do off road driving, don't remove the the power steering.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Quote:
This is true, I was just throwing that idea out there. I don't really know the point to this thread, but if he was looking for lightweight replacements, aluminum is the way to go.

OP asked for constructive advice about weight reduction, and I threw some ideas out there that are regularly discussed on this forum. I'm not saying these are good ideas, he asked, and that's what came to mind. I agree with the other comments, if you want great MPG's buy a car.

And there's no way that tube doors weigh more than stock doors, and a moon roof can't weigh much more than the roof itself.

Granted this is a 1st gen, but there's nothing to them.
You're gonna get killed driving around like that
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #31
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
You're gonna get killed driving around like that
They are bad ass for there intended use..
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
They are bad ass for there intended use..
Except when you get broadsided.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
Except when you get broadsided.
Never seen someone get broadsided on a trail...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Never seen someone get broadsided on a trail...
Op never said he was doing this to ride trails.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #35

As for the reason I said they were awesome for there intended use... Not for what everyone else was duh eating op should use them for..

(I'm saying they are for trail rigs not driving on the street) if you were still confused
Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #36
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
If your worried about mpg why not sell your truck and buy a prius?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #37

Quote:
As for the reason I said they were awesome for there intended use... Not for what everyone else was duh eating op should use them for..

(I'm saying they are for trail rigs not driving on the street) if you were still confused
I'm not confused. Op really hasn't stated if it is for a daily driver or for the trails. If it is for his daily driver for better mpgs, then that is just utterly stupid. I'll keep my doors and stay alive thank you.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil5393 View Post
If your worried about mpg why not sell your truck and buy a prius?
Exactly......
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #39
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Carbon fiber hood saves 30lbs and fits great .
Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
I'm usually not one to comment about how people mod their vehicles, but this is just dumb. You can't just take parts off to achieve better fuel efficiency. They were designed to work together for aerodynamics and safety. Take parts off and they will catch more air thus creating more drag and reduce the safety of your overall vehicle. You might end up with a lighter unsafe cinder block instead of a heavier more aerodynamic and safe vehicle.