Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2012 Weight Reduction Mod

Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #41
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
I'm usually not one to comment about how people mod their vehicles, but this is just dumb. You can't just take parts off to achieve better fuel efficiency. They were designed to work together for aerodynamics and safety. Take parts off and they will catch more air thus creating more drag and reduce the safety of your overall vehicle. You might end up with a lighter unsafe cinder block instead of a heavier more aerodynamic and safe vehicle.
Thank you....
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #42
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Step 1: Set truck on fire
Step 2: Drive what is left

On a serious note I have no ideas.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
As for the reason I said they were awesome for there intended use... Not for what everyone else was duh eating op should use them for..

(I'm saying they are for trail rigs not driving on the street) if you were still confused
Quote:
To remove as much "unnecessary" body parts as possible, for better mileage and a "bare-bones" or "skeleton" look.
Op's quote, sounds like for a daily driver for better mpgs. Why would you be concerned with mpgs on the trail? Most of the time you are moving pretty slow.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #44
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFimb View Post
[CENTER][LEFT]Has anybody already done this on the 2012 yet? Honestly the idea spawned when I tried taking off my tailgate and there was a black wire attached to the inside preventing me from doing so.
That's the wire for the backup camera. Follow the wire through a cutout in the bed bottom. The connector should be under the bed.

The Tacoma is already the lightest pickup truck in its class (Nissan Frontier weighs 300 lb more). Other weight-saving methods will cost money (i.e. do it if you want to improve performance, not to save on gas):

RAYS TE37 forged wheels (save 14 lb unsprung weight per wheel compared to 30% steelies).
Buy run-flat tires so you can delete the spare and jack
VIS Racing carbon fiber hood
Lexan rear window
Remove tow hitch if you got one
Replace battery with Optima Red Top
Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #45
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
I see Wranglers driving around town with there doors off all the time, at least the tube doors provide a little protection.

OP - what are you current MPG's and what mark are you trying to hit? We nearly have the same vehicle, and I'm average 24.13 mpg which in my mind is fantastic.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #46
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion: Lighter wheels (alloys) and thinner tires (235, 245, 255) will give you about 3-4 mpg more depending on the truck configuration and driving style.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #47
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
Op's quote, sounds like for a daily driver for better mpgs. Why would you be concerned with mpgs on the trail? Most of the time you are moving pretty slow.
You seem to be pretty slow... Let me spell it out for you

Op wanted to get rid of weight.. That's cool

Suggestions were made for tube doors and op seemed okay with that... Tube doors are great but they are great for what they are made for. They are made for wheeling so you have better views of your path and obsticals.. Nothing to do with mpg's..

You keep saying screw the tube doors they are not safe.. This is true and my reply was clarifying that they are not safe on the road but they are great to have when using them for the ways intended ( off roading )

I don't understand where you think I am conserved with his mpg on teails..

My consern was someone chopping up a new truck thinking it would yield more mpg's when in fact it would hurt them..

If you still are not on the same page I don't know what else to tell you..
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #48
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
I see Wranglers driving around town with there doors off all the time, at least the tube doors provide a little protection.

OP - what are you current MPG's and what mark are you trying to hit? We nearly have the same vehicle, and I'm average 24.13 mpg which in my mind is fantastic.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #49
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Hey trail I think it's about time we give up with this crowd...
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #50
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Really. I'll come back in a year.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
You seem to be pretty slow... Let me spell it out for you

Op wanted to get rid of weight.. That's cool

Suggestions were made for tube doors and op seemed okay with that... Tube doors are great but they are great for what they are made for. They are made for wheeling so you have better views of your path and obsticals.. Nothing to do with mpg's..

You keep saying screw the tube doors they are not safe.. This is true and my reply was clarifying that they are not safe on the road but they are great to have when using them for the ways intended ( off roading )

I don't understand where you think I am conserved with his mpg on teails..

My consern was someone chopping up a new truck thinking it would yield more mpg's when in fact it would hurt them..

If you still are not on the same page I don't know what else to tell you..
Well TC I am too old to sit here and argue with someone over the internet. I guess both of us are not on the same page as to what we are trying to explain to the other one. I'm done.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #52
Flymaker is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Prime Beef
Flymaker's Tacoma Gallery
crazy thread.....Guys buys probably one of the best engineered and capable 4x4 trucks and he wants to cut it apart.....wow.....I don't get it ..but .....damn!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #53
johnnychimpo711 is on a distinguished road
Army:
johnnychimpo711's Tacoma Gallery
Up your fuel economy

Put masking tape on all the creases and body lines to give it better aerodynamics, then cover the body in lard (or lard substitute for animal activists), and trade it in for a Prius.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #54
DeFimb is on a distinguished road
Army: Medic
DeFimb's Tacoma Gallery
The rear bumper has been gone for a few weeks, I wonder why it was so heavy and made of metal.... probably for a good reason but oh well.

Feels like the higher gear rpm is getting a boost and struggling less uphills..

Riding steady, Tach under 2.5 and hitting almost 75mph. Unusual?

No difference noted getting to 60 though. Always drive with eggshells under pedal, I never push my truck into higher rpm at lower gears. Fuel efficiency seems to be about the same, but I havn't had good opportunities to get a good reading either.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #55
Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #56
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
You should cover your truck in sticky notes. As they flap they will push air away creating an aerodynamic bubble as you drive down the road. No dollar tree shit, go straight to office max.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #57
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome troll DeFimb.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #58
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Really?!?!? You friggin 'geniuses' obviously overlooked paint stripper.

Weight reduction will help in start/stop driving, aerodynamics for highway driving -mostly-. Any body panels removed will likely increase drag. Tailgate nets increase drag even more than removing the tailgate. There are legit places to save weight and drag, wheels/tires are where I'd start. Deleting luxuries is also legit. Then: Race seat, carbon fiber driveshaft, titanium gun-drilled axles, carbon fiber brakes, lexan windows, titanium springs, light battery..............
The amount you'll spend buying parts will take a crapload of miles to balance out in fuel savings, but by all means go for it. Speaking of crapload, a morning visit to the throne will reduce the gross weight of your truck. Remove your spare tire and carrier, bumpers, A/C, power steering, etc., it's only your comfort & safety and I won't give you grief about it.

BTW, tube doors can be safer than regular doors in a T-bone or rollover impact but they wouldn't be much lighter and obviously not aerodynamic.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #59
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Don't forget drilling holes in the frame. There is a reason swiss cheese weighs less than cheddar