1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tick showed up- '08 with 6600 miles.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MGRS, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    MGRS

MGRS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    I came to a stop after exiting the highway yesterday and all the sudden there was a loud rhythmic ticking noise from the motor. I can hear it most at idle but also while moving slowly in year, and it has been there since.

All fluid levels are good, and oil level is fine. Oil is Mobil 1 5w-30, and has been in the truck for 3300 miles.

I hear that this is normal for tacomas? Still it rattled me a little when it showed up all the sudden in a practically new truck...

Not on topic, but another issue I have been dying to ask about is the clutch- is it normal for the 6 speeds to feel very rough when changing gears? No matter how slow I shift, I get a grating feedback when going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. It is not a gear grinding sound- more like the sync hubs are not meshing smoothly.

Thanks

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Could the tick have anything to do with the ethanol put in gasoline? Don't know much about the engines on the newer tacos, someone else will likely chime in but just throwing it out there...

3. Mar 3, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It could be the exhaust manifold. There was a TSB out on it, but I cant remember what year it was for. FWIW, all Tacomas tick to some degree. maybe have the dealer check it out for ya.

Products Discussed in

To Top