Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Catalytic converter stolen, straight pipe...

Old 08-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
roguewaave is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Worked on F111's in the 70's
roguewaave's Tacoma Gallery
Catalytic converter stolen, straight pipe...

Hello all,
Just bought our first Tacoma and the gal I bought it from said someone stole her cat, so she just straight piped it. Of course the check engine light is on and stays on....my question, will this harm anything? Can I just ignore the light and drive on? or over the long term am I going to have problems with drivability or harm something.
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in any of the counties with smog that are scattered around in Texas, you will have an issue. Also, state inspection does require verifying that the cat is at least there, so depending on how detailed the state inspector is, you could fail the inspection. As far as drivability concerns, many people have driven with bored out cats or straight pipes, and have said they haven't had any ill effects. I suggest against it simply from a legal standpoint. The Cat is supposed to be there. I know a lot of people complain and call some people tree hugers and such, and I am not a tree huger for sure, but I DO care about the air my children, and grandchildren breath. It is an important part of your vehicle. Just my $.02 worth there.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Start every day with a smile and get it over with
Flynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlynbyu2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: K9
Name: Ron
Flynbyu2's Tacoma Gallery
Living in California, I know a couple things about smog issues and stolen catalytic converters.

The computer in your truck is assuming there is a problem and is throwing a code, hence the CEL. When a CEL is on, your computer goes into a default mode. You are definately not getting everything out of your truck that Toyota programmed in.

The tweekers are stealing catalytic converters on Toyota trucks out here at a frantic pace. Because the trucks sit higher, they don't even need to jack up the car to get it out. Numerous solutions have been tried here to stop the thefts, most of them unsucessful for the most part. There is a guy here that manufactures a bolt-on plate to prevent the tweekers from being able to reach the cat.