1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Transmission Usage

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Spacedude, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Sep 11, 2007 at 5:24 PM
    Spacedude

Spacedude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Indigo
    Bed mat, Access Limited Edition tonneau cover, DeeZee Elite nerf bars, AVS Bugflector II, Toyota aluminum skid plate, Toyota TRD seat covers.
    This is probably a dumb question, but reading the owners manual got me concerned. When I'm driving up and down mountain roads, I like to use 3rd or 2nd gear on the auto transmission to keep the rpm at about 2500. This gives me much more control and response. The manual says the transmission can be damaged by overheating if I do this for an extended time. Is this true? How do you guys drive your Tacos in the mtns? Is it better just to use the Drive setting? :confused:

2. Sep 18, 2007 at 1:26 PM
    agapedisciple

agapedisciple Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Skid plate, Tonneau bed cover, Toyota bed liner, Bed Extension bar, Nerf bars
    I do the same thing b/c it keeps the engine in lower gears and lets your engine slow you down as you approach hills and switchbacks as well as give you more torque go up the next hill. I always turn off O/D while driving in the mountains. The main concern is how fast you are going in the lower gears. The owners' manual has more info on this.

Products Discussed in

To Top