1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing A/C Condenser Myself

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Nightops, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Aug 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Nightops

Nightops [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Nashua, NH
    K&N 63 short ram, Magnaflow Exhaust, OME lift with Dakars.
    Hi all,

I have an 03' Xtra cab. V6 5 speed. I had my oil changed at a Valvoline shop and also did an A/C service. A month went by and my A/C stopped pushing out cold air. I found out that I lost all fluid because the bottom of my condenser split. I went back to the shop and they said that they will refill the refrigerant after I replace the condenser free of charge.

I'm technically inclined and a DIY'er. I'm wondering if this is something that I can replace with ease or If I should have it done. Also, any recommendations whether if I should go OEM or aftermarket when buying parts. I've been quoted over $200 for an OEM condenser from multiple part shops. Online I just found a Denso for about $140. I'm not concerned about the fluid because I'm pretty sure the whole system is bone dry. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    It is not a difficult job at all if the system is empty, and you have a place that will vacuum and charge it for you. In all honesty if you feel comfortable replacing the radiator, then the Condenser is not much different.

Products Discussed in

To Top