Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

57k and half the Irridium plugs are eroded, half look good

Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiec View Post
Yes, I am the original owner. Supercharger was installed by dealership the day I bought it. The truck had about 150 miles on it when the supercharger was installed since it was driven up here from a dealership in Virginia. Plugs were just replaced by the dealership. I would have to assume that they checked/gapped the plugs on the newly installed supercharger as well as the new plugs installed this week.
If they were gapped the dealer fucked up. If they used a standard gapping tool which I'm almost positive they did, they rubbed the iridium coating off the tip of the plugs which essentially rendered them useless as an iriduim plug. They become at that point as good as a copper which may explain why they were worn out and look like a copper plug.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
If they were gapped the dealer fucked up. If they used a standard gapping tool which I'm almost positive they did, they rubbed the iridium coating off the tip of the plugs which essentially rendered them useless as an iriduim plug. They become at that point as good as a copper which may explain why they were worn out and look like a copper plug.
It isn't iridium coated, the electrode tip is solid iridium so the common mistake is breaking the tip off completely, which could have happened to 3 plugs if the installer was totally retarded. Iridium plugs should be accurately pre-gapped with no reason to gap.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiec View Post
Same exact plug. Both are Denso Irridium as specified by Toyota. The irridium is so worn out it looks like a copper plug.
Toyota only specifies Iridium on the 2.7. 100k change interval.
The 4.0 gets copper from the factory. 30k change interval.
Check your manual.

IF you had Iridium in there, it's because the dealer installed them with the supercharger, but when it rolled off of the line, it had copper.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
Well when you rush that much air it is going to be more harsh on our plugs, I would switch back to copper plugs and change them every 30k but I'm not sure if copper plugs are run with the sc, also are you running high octane everytime like your supposed to?

Do not do this. The Iridium plugs were installed with the supercharger. If I remember correctly they fire at a lower temp. This lower temp helps stop premature detonation or some such. The only reason I know this TexasPreRunner is that I have a supercharger. Is Texas its own state yet? Did they have to remove the Supercharger to remove drivers side plugs?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
I remember somewhere on this forum i read that toyota actually uses two types of plugs one the v6 (One on one side and one type on the other).If i find it i will post a link.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
I remember somewhere on this forum i read that toyota actually uses two types of plugs one the v6 (One on one side and one type on the other).If i find it i will post a link.
Factory plugs on the V6 are copper NGK on one side and copper Denso on the other. There is no logical reason for this other than Toyota dual-sources their plugs to help immunize themselves from shortages caused by problems with one supplier or the other.

If the dealer changed plugs with the SC installation, that would have been nullified (unless perhaps they neglected to change one bank).
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP said dealer told him they came from both sides?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
OP said dealer told him they came from both sides?
Wondering if the tech that installed the SC didn't neglect to upgrade the plugs on one bank, leaving him with 3 new Denso iridium and 3 factory Denso copper (which are the 3 that went bad).

OP, what's the part number on the bad plugs?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #30

Ya, looking at the picture, even taking into account that one plug is brand new and the other is old, they are definitely not the same plug. The insulator shape is different, and the new iridium electrode has a conical taper that begins well below the edge of the insulator. The eroded plug, if it ever had a taper, begins above the insulator.

That's a copper plug.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ya, looking at the picture, even taking into account that one plug is brand new and the other is old, they are definitely not the same plug. The insulator shape is different, and the new iridium electrode has a conical taper that begins well below the edge of the insulator. The eroded plug, if it ever had a taper, begins above the insulator.

That's a copper plug.
Then no they didn't come from both sides if you are right. Does make more sense.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #32
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
Iridium plugs come in bag "K" of the Supercharger kit. I am thinking if where this thread is going and that those are copper plugs then dip ship mech. forgot to install Iridium plugs. Even worse when install was done he/she would have had 3 iridium plugs from bag "k" left over and said F it and sent the truck out the door. Probably from drivers side. Did OP take it to same dealership with bad code that did install?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #33
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
One plug has never been in an engine it looks fine because it is, the other one is way past overdue for replacement. There is nothing wrong with the old plug other then the fact it is way beyond worn out. Want to do a comparison lay 6 used plugs on the table then take a picture.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92y View Post
Do not do this. The Iridium plugs were installed with the supercharger. If I remember correctly they fire at a lower temp. This lower temp helps stop premature detonation or some such. The only reason I know this TexasPreRunner is that I have a supercharger. Is Texas its own state yet? Did they have to remove the Supercharger to remove drivers side plugs?
Waiting for Arizona to jump on the bandwagon
Old 08-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #35
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
It isn't iridium coated, the electrode tip is solid iridium so the common mistake is breaking the tip off completely, which could have happened to 3 plugs if the installer was totally retarded. Iridium plugs should be accurately pre-gapped with no reason to gap.
I definitely agree with the plugs being pregapped with no need to gap them.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #36
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
I definitely agree with the plugs being pregapped with no need to gap them.
Always use a feeler to double check them before you install. Always.