1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with O2 sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Fishingpro77, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Sep 12, 2007 at 9:22 AM
    Fishingpro77

Fishingpro77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Cabos, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road
    SET OF 2.5" SWAY-A-WAY RACE-RUNNER OFF-ROAD COIL-OVERS,STLL MORE TO COME...
    Hello Guys,this is the problem... i have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma,4x4,V6, and i recently instaled a magnaflow exhaust system, let me tell you the sound is very loud!! like a Trophy Truck....But, 6 hours later, the CHECK code comes ON permanently, then, i took the tuck with one friend of mine who has a scanner, and he told me my O2 sensor is probably damaged (the one it comes beside of catalitic converter on the muffler),So, he said i need to replace it with a new one.

Tha question is: Is there a way to test if the O2 sensor still works?

I appreciate your help about this, and i ´ll be online waiting for any suggestions... Have a Nice Day!!!!

2. Sep 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    usually it takes a scan tool to test an O2 sensor. Snap-on Brick is one and the gensis is another scan tool. These two can be equiped to test them.

Couple of questions. was it bank one or bank two and was it before or after cat.

3. Sep 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM
    agapedisciple

agapedisciple Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Skid plate, Tonneau bed cover, Toyota bed liner, Bed Extension bar, Nerf bars
    Good question. O2 sensor CEL normally points to other problems. If it's before the cat, then it's probably just some carbon buildup and you can clean it off by letting it sit in some SeaFoam. (Awesome carbon remover.) If it's after the cat you've got bigger problems b/c your cat is probably going bad.

4. Sep 19, 2007 at 10:02 AM
    Fishingpro77

Fishingpro77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Cabos, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road
    SET OF 2.5" SWAY-A-WAY RACE-RUNNER OFF-ROAD COIL-OVERS,STLL MORE TO COME...
    I see...But theres's one thing i want to coment to all of you guys, i remember when i toke my truck to welding shop with the purpose to install a Magnaflow system, they removed the cat and leaved the muffler directly up to Magnaflow without nothing..only the muffler pipe and magnaflow.

When they finished with the instalation, nothing wrong happens in that moment, until i toke the road to the East Cape (about 20 miles from home) the check light cames ON, then, i supposed the reason was the new exhaust instalation.

Then, i back to welding shop in about 3 or 4 days explaining the problem, also, i tell them i need my old cat and they said we don't have it, and proceed to install an universal cat, not the previously installed.

Then, I went to my friend's shop and he scanned again, also, he erased the check code too, but, in that afternoon, check light cames ON once again, So, i called him and he said my O2 sensor is probably damaged.

well, this is all my story from the beginning. Maybe this can help to find some answers... Thank you...

P.D. i will take a picture to my exhaust system and post it, so you can see the instalation.

5. Sep 19, 2007 at 10:58 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

Products Discussed in

To Top