Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

There's a cricket under my bed

Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
There's a cricket under my bed

It sure sounds like a cricket and it seems to be coming from under the bed or at least the rear of the truck. When I start out in first, you hear this chirp, chirp, chirp that increases its rate with the speed of the truck. It won't do it coasting and it stops as soon as you depress the clutch. Once I'm up to speed in 3rd or 4th, it may still be doing it but it's drowned out by the tire roar. Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Does it chirp at wheel speed or driveshaft speed?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosedog View Post
It sure sounds like a cricket and it seems to be coming from under the bed or at least the rear of the truck. When I start out in first, you hear this chirp, chirp, chirp that increases its rate with the speed of the truck. It won't do it coasting and it stops as soon as you depress the clutch. Once I'm up to speed in 3rd or 4th, it may still be doing it but it's drowned out by the tire roar. Any ideas?
Poss u joint
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Does it chirp at wheel speed or driveshaft speed?
Driveshaft speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Poss u joint
I hit all the grease zerts a couple days ago and its still chirping.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL
Papa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
Papa Taco's Tacoma Gallery
it could be your throw out bearing. Mine is in the shop under warranty for what sounds like a cricket chirping and it goes away once i step on the clutch.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #6

Yeah the throw-out bearing sounds possible but wouldn't that be unusual at only 110K miles?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
Xrunner Junkie
gunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgunner76137 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
Name: John
gunner76137's Tacoma Gallery
Its the Tacoma curse. Throw out bearing sucks.
My first Xrunner only did it when sitting still when out of gear and clutch out , my 07 does It when in gear driving down the road.
If your under warranty the stealership should replace it free.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #8

No warranty, I'm the second owner and it's an '06.

But damn, ad that to the list of Tacoma curses huh.

That list is getting pretty long...rusting frame, under-sized rear leafs, poor fuel milage, drivers side lean, early failure throw-out bearing, etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL
Papa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My truck is a 2011 and it only has 27k miles. Yay warranty!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
My rear u-joint made that exact sound with driveshaft speed.

Stop the truck on level ground, throw it in neutral, take off the parking brake, climb underneath and shake the driveshaft from side to side. If there's any play in the U-joint bushings, it needs to be replaced. I did mine at 80k.

EDIT: didn't read the full post, if it stops when you depress the clutch then it's definitely the TOB.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure about your throw-out bearing as I have not researched that much but I had a chirping sound come from under my truck not so long ago. I replaced all the U-joints & the Carrier Bearing. Needless to say, the chirping is gone.

See my thread if you'd like. I posted videos and such.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL

Got a call from my dealer today and they did te throw out bearing and clutch assembly and now my chirp is gone. U joints make noise but my money is on your throw out bearing too
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #13

And the winner is........

The rear U-joint. I never would have thought it since it quit with the clutch in but apparently it made the chirp only while under load.
Simple cheap fix, hope others with this symptom have it just as easy.