Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2012 Tacoma...Last cry for help b4 it goes!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
TacoMan31 is on a distinguished road
TacoMan31's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma...Last cry for help b4 it goes!

All, this is my last cry for help. My story....

My 2012 tacoma has 30k miles on it. Since 5k miles it drives like absolute crap with 87 octane in the tank. I have taken it to Toyota 4x now and they say there is nothing wrong with the car and that they have reported the pinging to Toyota. On top of all this I have had my rear drums cleaned and re-adjusted about 5x and the annoying brief squeek will not go away when coming to a slow stop.

I purchased a Toyota for reliability. Ultimately, I feel like I have been jipped and no longer want this truck unless somebody can suggest something that the dealer will not.

Im pretty handy with a wrench.....If i change out the plugs will it go away? I don't think by saying run 93 and deal with it is a good solution. I have been hestitant to touch anything because i do not want to void my warranty.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Its a V6 4.0 Prerunner Double Cab
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Go to another dealer, dude. If one dealer is giving you the runaround, you have 4 choices:

1) Call Toyota, go back to the same dealer and hope they don't F*** around with your truck because you got them in trouble
2) Go to another dealer and hope they will actually take care of it
3) Go on TacomaWorld and complain about it
4) Say F*** it and just put up with it
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Go to another dealer, dude. If one dealer is giving you the runaround, you have 4 choices:

1) Call Toyota, go back to the same dealer and hope they don't F*** around with your truck because you got them in trouble
2) Go to another dealer and hope they will actually take care of it
3) Go on TacomaWorld and complain about it
4) Say F*** it and just put up with it
5) Trade it in for the 2014
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6) Deal with it until the 3rd gen model comes out in 2015
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
7: Get a different truck that you think you will have better success with.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
1. They tell me to take it back
2. Three dealers
3. Im doing that now?
4. Been doing that
5. Wouldn't consider another one.
5. Run it into a brick wall and hope that I total it???
Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
7: Go to jail for insurance fraud.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
LOL
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Honestly dude, I don't know what this pinging is, but if you have an issue with the dealer, go to a different one, make a few calls, and see if Toyota will claim it as a "lemon".
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
What does "run like crap" mean? You mention 87 octane, is it better on 91?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Yes, when i run 93 it actually runs smooth with very little noise.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan31 View Post
Sounds like the map isn't adjusting for the octane.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan31 View Post
Then run premium. Seeing as thats what these engines were designed to run, it kind of makes sense.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
^That's not true. These engines are designed for 87 on up. I run premium because I like the way my engine sounds with it . But there's people that have run 87 for 300k miles with zero issues.

If you're having pinging issues, OP, SERIOUS pinging issues, then you need to have Toyota Corp involved if dealers won't touch it.

However, if 3 dealers have said theirs nothing wrong...it leads me to believe you may just be hearing something that you may think is pinging, but is really just engine tick or something. I'm just saying, alot of people come from other vehicles and expect a ferrari and end up thinking they got a 1990's POS.

Do us a favor, take a video of this pinging, and post it here. I'm sure theres enough mechanics here that can hear it and know whats going on.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
^That's not true. These engines are designed for 87 on up. I run premium because I like the way my engine sounds with it . But there's people that have run 87 for 300k miles with zero issues.

I guess I worded it wrong. For optimal performance, they recommend you use premium.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
smuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud ofsmuggiesrider has much to be proud of
Name: CR
smuggiesrider's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking is normal on these engines.
If you feed yourself McDonalds food everyday you wouldn't run good either.i actually get better gas mileage with 93 octane. So for me its makes sense amd who doenst want the best running truck possible?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Your heart's not in the vehicle, for whatever reason. Dump it.