Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
STEVON is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVO
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery

I recently backed into a tree at 2 mph and bumper and driver's side quarter panel collapsed. Why is the bumper so weak? I thought American cars had to sustain a 3mph impact with no damage? I bent the bumper back by hand, what a phony piece of tin! My 1987 Nissan 1 ton pickup bumped into things several times with no damage to the bed. I think there should be another class action lawsuit against Toyota for not putting a sticker on the bumper "Warning! Impact of this bumper over 1mph will cause $2500 dollars in damage" " "Use extreme caution when backing up" The accident pushed the gas cap off and now my check engine light is on.

Question: is there a normally strong aftermarket chrome bumper available to use after the quarter panel is fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-006-sm.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-007-sm.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-008-sm.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-009-sm.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
i say screw an OEM replacment and go plate steel. wont ever have problems again.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVON View Post
I recently backed into a tree at 2 mph and bumper and driver's side quarter panel collapsed. Why is the bumper so weak? I thought American cars had to sustain a 3mph impact with no damage? I bent the bumper back by hand, what a phony piece of tin! My 1987 Nissan 1 ton pickup bumped into things several times with no damage to the bed. I think there should be another class action lawsuit against Toyota for not putting a sticker on the bumper "Warning! Impact of this bumper over 1mph will cause $2500 dollars in damage" " "Use extreme caution when backing up" The accident pushed the gas cap off and now my check engine light is on.

Question: is there a normally strong aftermarket chrome bumper available to use after the quarter panel is fixed?
Wow, that is surprising. I have smacked my OEM rear bumper on lotsa stuff off-road, and never kinked my quarter-panel.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery

Soft Taco,

I have an SR5 package and want to maintain the look with chrome bumper. It pisses me off that Toyota is allowed to make such a weak tail gate (250lb max), A worthless bumper and no strength in the quarter panel what so ever. While I was repairing some previous damage I reinforced the crappy tailgate, see pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-tacoma-bed-repair-005-sm.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-tail-gate-re-enforce.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-tail-gate-re-enforce-1.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-tail-gate-re-enforce-3.jpg  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
STEVON's Tacoma Gallery
Backup touch, heavy damage rear bumper, quarter panel

Well I finally got around to fixing the smashed quarter panel. With a come-a-long and some body hammers I beat the beer can steel back into place. This is a very expensive truck but poorly built. Sheet metal is too thin or at least it should have more carbon in the steel like GM did to make use of thinner material without sacrificing durability! Went to my local steel supplier and for $32 in material I started my rear bumper weakness solution. I do not want to go through this again. Tacoma = disposable truck? Not for farm use or construction work for sure. The steel I bought was made for trailer hitches already cut and available in 1 ft, 2 ft, etc. and some scrap pile cutoffs. Welded up the trailer hitch into a real reinforcement and hammered out the tin like bumper with standard body hammers! how's that for toughness! You can see the project photos at:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/29806/cat/500

Cheers,

Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVON View Post

Attached Thumbnails
Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-steel-rr-bumper-.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-body-work-rr-bumper-i.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-body-work-rr-bumper-j.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-body-work-rr-bumper-bdy-clearance-f.jpg   Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-body-work-rr-bumper-undercoated.jpg  

Weak bumper = wrecked quarter panel-july-tacoma-no-tag.jpg  
Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Damn trees jumping out of nowhere.