Notices

Driveshaft help!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
chase6616 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Infantry 1/8 & 2/3
Name: Chase
chase6616's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Driveshaft help!

So my truck started making some pretty strange noises. When I accelerate at about 45-50mph it sounds like a coaches whistle, seriously sounds just like it.

When I decelerate it makes like a snapping noise and I start to get some vibrations. The motor seems to preform sluggish in the 30mph range but then if I rev above 2k it seems like boosters kick in. The noises sound like their coming from the back of the truck.

I crawled underneath and checked the u joints but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. I also looked at the carrier bearing where the two piece driveshaft meets up and I could wiggle the driveshaft around inside it. I t looks like theres a huge bushing in there so I'm not sure if that's normal. Any advice...Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When was the last time you lubricated your driveshaft/ujoints?

I would start there....lubricate, lubricate, lubricate.

I lubricate mine at 30K miles. After greasing, I always get strange noises until a couple days later when the grease has worked its way around the entire bearing.

Carrier bearing is supposed to 'wiggle' a bit. Rubber bushing.... not supposed to be rigid.