1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveshaft help!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chase6616, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    chase6616

chase6616 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Jacksonville,FL
    Vehicle:
    06' PreRunner TRD OR SR5
    bilstein 5100's, maxtrax spindles, dealer springs, Thule Rack, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, ARB awning, all pro bed cage, tepeui RTT, spidertrax spacers
    So my truck started making some pretty strange noises. When I accelerate at about 45-50mph it sounds like a coaches whistle, seriously sounds just like it.

When I decelerate it makes like a snapping noise and I start to get some vibrations. The motor seems to preform sluggish in the 30mph range but then if I rev above 2k it seems like boosters kick in. The noises sound like their coming from the back of the truck.

I crawled underneath and checked the u joints but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. I also looked at the carrier bearing where the two piece driveshaft meets up and I could wiggle the driveshaft around inside it. I t looks like theres a huge bushing in there so I'm not sure if that's normal. Any advice...Thanks

2. Sep 11, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When was the last time you lubricated your driveshaft/ujoints?

I would start there....lubricate, lubricate, lubricate.

I lubricate mine at 30K miles. After greasing, I always get strange noises until a couple days later when the grease has worked its way around the entire bearing.

Carrier bearing is supposed to 'wiggle' a bit. Rubber bushing.... not supposed to be rigid.

Products Discussed in

To Top