1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ToyotaCare - Oil Change interval

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mxracer244, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    He is wrong.
    The Tacoma 2.7 is not (yet) certified for 10,000 mile oil changes.
    It has shipped with synthetic for years and has always called for 5k changes.
    The dealerships are getting confused now because more and more Toyota models are getting synthetic and DO call for 10k intervals, but the warranty on your Tacoma requires 5k changes.
    You have read incorrectly.
    Oil begins getting dirty and breaking down the first time you start the engine. It does NOT work "better" when used longer.
    It works better than conventional oil running the same intervals, but synthetic oil with 7k on it is not "better" than synthetic oil with 4k on it.

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    kennyutah

kennyutah Active Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 RC 2.7 and I go in every 5k and have a service done. It's part of toyota care. go in every 5k no matter what, you paid for it.:evil:

3. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    With respect to oil change intervals, why do people insist on NOT following the recommendations and guidelines spelled out in the owner's manual? I just don't get all of the confusion and questions about what oil to use and how often to change it. The information is all in the owner's manual.

Maybe there is a high rate of illiteracy out there and that is why the owners manual goes unread.

4. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Most people don't read their manual (how many people post not knowing how to reset the MR light or TPMS?)
    They go to Toyota when the light comes on, and the illiterate service writer tells them to come back in 5,000.

5. Oct 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    RdRunr

RdRunr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    still in the Matrix
    Vehicle:
    2014 Base, white, reg cab, 2.7L, 5-spd
    LCE header, Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler
    some random comments:

I'm looking online at the 2014 Tacoma "Warranty and Maintenance Guide". (I have to look online; don't have mine yet. Few more weeks!) It does indeed say 5,000 mi oil change interval for both the 4.0 and 2.7. It also refers to the schedule for the 4.0 as "non-synthetic" and "synthetic" for the 2.7. And the "Maintenance data" section of owner's manual says to use 5W-30 for the 3.0 and 0W-20 for the 2.7.

ToyotaCare isn't really free. It is part of the cost of buying the vehicle. Probably more correct to say that it's already paid for?

Even though ToyotaCare is free, I mean already paid for, I'm thinking I will do oil changes and other stuff myself. When it comes to my truck, I don't really trust anyone else with it. Plus I enjoy doing it and I'll sleep better at night knowing it was done correctly. :)

6. Oct 14, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    mike15

mike15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Limited

X2....What he said!!

7. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's my feeling.

Nobody on this planet gives more of a shit about my truck than I do.

Lojlil likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top