1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Question 2007 Auto

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Jeng, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sep 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    Jeng

Jeng [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner TRD
    I provided my husband with the great write up on here about how to change the trans fluid (just what's in the pan, and they also had the radiator out, not the flush) and the filter but somehow he did not follow it and long story short we ended up first with a truck that refused to shift into 5th and then a check engine light with codes that pretty much confirmed low fluid.

Since we also happened to be 130 miles from home and with a toddler in the back we had to find a solution. We ended up deciding to add more fluid in the parking lot of Walmart after waiting hours for the truck to cool down.

It was Sunday night so toyota WS wasn't going to happen. Walmart carried something called Super Tech Dextron VI which claims to be suitable for Toyota WS applications. So, right now we have the original ATF that was in the lines and tranny, the 4qts of Toyota WS from earlier in the day, and we added 4qts of Super Tech. 2.20 quarts came back out the overflow after the Walmart crap was added and the temp check mode was achieved and all that.

So, what would you do? Do we need to do the poor mans flush to get most of the Walmart crap out? Leave it since it is shifting fine after the 130 mile trip home plus city driving today? Have a professional flush to get ALL of the Super tech? The transmission shop was unhelpful and suggested we remove and open the transmission. Surely that isn't necessary.

2007 V6 Auto Prerunner TRD 4x2 91k some light towing.

image.jpg

2. Sep 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Flush it out and you can put the right fluid back in it. Valvoline maxlife is "WS" certified or Get the toyota stuff. If the container of the fluid indeed says "WS" compatible then leave it be.

3. Sep 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If the fluid is now up to level and the truck is running well with no check engine light, enjoy a job well done!

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    A full flush with Supertech Dex VI may actually be OK. However, long-term reactions with the mixed fluid is unknown. You could end up with coagulated residue that blocks passages, or swollen seals that leak.

Take it to a Toyota dealer and do a transmission flush with a machine. It'll get all the mixed fluid out and replace it with Toyota WS fluid. Cost should be under $140 and you won't have to touch it again for 6 years or 60k.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Jeng

Jeng [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner TRD
    Toyota wants $371 for a flush, so they are not really an option! Actually just buying enough fluid from them to do the poor man's flush would be about $160. Or I could probably find a shop that would do it for $100 or so if I provide the toyota WS.

Mixing two is my main worry, especially when one is "super tech" but I don't know how far I need to go to get the other completely out or if like some say...leave well enough alone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  6. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    $371 is robbery. Call up another dealer in your area and compare prices.

7. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    yeah i paid around $150 for my trans flush. find another dealer.

8. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    If it was me, I'd flush it all out and put back in Toyota WS. If that's not economical for you, I'd leave it as-is and drive it. Pay attention to any shuddering that starts, hard shifts, or refusing to upshift or downshift. If any of those things crop up, you're going to have to bite the pillow and either perform a DIY flush or get a dealer to do it ASAP.

Some "compatible" fluids are not. Some are. I don't know anything about the Walmart SuperTech brand. You may want to post this question in the appropriate forum over on bobistheoilguy.com. Those folks seems to know everything in the world about various automotive lubricants and fluids.

Products Discussed in

To Top