1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve problem or exhaust leak

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Billyc, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Oct 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    Billyc

Billyc [OP] Member

Member:
    Wartrace,tn
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    I have a noise coming from driver side I've pin pointed to where the loudest sound is coming from using screwdriver to ear method and it's loudest on manifold but I don't see any suit and as far as valves go the engine isn't missing rpms are steady and no lack in power anybody have any ideas

2. Oct 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Video or sound file of the noise? Or can you search Youtube for other Tacomas that have the noise and point us at the link? Might give us some ideas about the noise you're hearing. Also helps to know under what conditions you hear the noise, i.e. hot/cold, A/C on/off, etc.

3. Oct 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    What engine? The 4.0 V6 is notorious for a noisy valve train and can have a pronounced "tick" sound. Usually not super loud, but noticeable. My '09 had a slight tick, nothing on my '12 though.

4. Oct 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    It sounds like the op has the 3.4 v6 and a sound would be helpful

5. Oct 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Billyc

Billyc [OP] Member

Member:
    Wartrace,tn
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    Sorry just learning this forum but it's a 04 3.4 Tacoma yesterday I used a stethoscope on exhaust on drivers side and I could hear the sound more their but I can tell u no engine miss no cel on starts fine rims steady same gas mileage as usual doesn't use oil looked for exhaust leak no video but just listening to it it don't sound like metal to metal but with stethoscope it does and only their and seems to be intermint but no video I'll try to get one when I learn to use this forum but thanks for reading and helping

6. Oct 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    Billyc

Billyc [OP] Member

Member:
    Wartrace,tn
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    And the ac is off haven't noticed it when it's on but does seem to be when it's hot I did do a timing belt 5 months ago and water pump but didn't notice how long after that that it started

7. Oct 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Could need a valve lash adjustment, but that takes shims and special tools. I don't think this is a common adjustment that is needed on the 3.4. How many miles on the truck?

8. Oct 4, 2013 at 3:32 AM
    Billyc

Billyc [OP] Member

Member:
    Wartrace,tn
    Vehicle:
    4x4 pickup
    I have 153000 miles but how common is exhaust manifold leak at the head on this trucks I've Been the only owner and took good care of it I done timing belt like I said before about 5 months ago and replaced water pump seems like problem started 2 months after that but I would think if something went wrong like being out a tooth it would miss and it don't and the noise only seems to be when it's hot but I haven't saw any evidence of exhaust leak I would not think it needs a valve adjustment neither theses are good engines saw them running like new with very high miles

9. Oct 4, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I can't really say how common exhaust leaks are on these trucks, but in my experience, exhaust leaks are louder when the engine is cold and quiet down a little once everything has heated up and expanded.

It's really hard to diagnose sounds over the internet. That truck has plenty of life left. If the noise isn't really loud and the truck is running fine, I say just drive it and see if it gets worse over time.

10. Jan 6, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Jp00714

Jp00714 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jp
    Vehicle:
    06 pre-runner

Products Discussed in

To Top