Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Transmission Issue or Paranoia?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
Codemonkey3 is on a distinguished road

Codemonkey3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure if I'm even describing it right and it happens on occasion and only in those specific circumstances during cold starts and goes away really fast. It's literally the only issue the truck has and if someone said "No big deal, live with it" I would be totally cool with that but obviously I want to find out why and fix it.

I don't think the diff is broken or anything, it doesn't make any noises, everything works perfectly outside those extremely specific circumstances. So I don't know what in the world it is. The truck has a locking diff by the way, might be important to mention that.

I'm getting it checked on Friday, I just want to know where to start pointing fingers to figure it out or find someone who has had experience with this that can describe it to me better than I can. It feels like the tires are locking/skipping once, twice, three times before the truck functions fine or if feel it coming I put it in reverse, back up, back into drive and do that once or twice until it functions normally.

Once the truck has been driving, I can reverse and do anything I have to normally do without incident which is why I'm in this weird limbo between being confused, really concerned and almost dismissive about it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure what you mean about a patch. If the rear diff is locking and unlocking on it's own, that may be the source of the tire scubbing. Is it an auto-locker? If not, I'd get it fixed.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #23

It's a little rubber patch on the pumpkin on the rear diff.

As for the specifics of the differential all I know is I have a button in the cab that says "Locking Diff" and a sticker on the door and tells me to use it only in emergencies.

Gotta go to work now but this guy sounds like he has my issue, albeit different circumstances.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ocking-up.html
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #24

Okay, so backed out of a space, put it in drive, made sure I was locked in that gear and hit the gas. The engine rev'd up and I didn't go anywhere, after a few seconds of pushing on the gas there was a "clunk" and I took off all normal and dandy. Same clunk you hear when you take off 4WD and same noise my old, shitty transmission on my old Taco made.

So, I checked my transmission fluid and it's brown and smells like a tackle box so it does seem like a transmission problem, but should be easy as changing the fluid.

I believe that Taco's also have E-brake issues like this? But I doubt that's what it is. All the other things I've experienced and even minor things I didn't notice before all point to changing the tranny fluid. I can read "low/bad tranny fluid" symptom lists and nod my head for most of them (minus the serious, damaging ones thank god).

Hopefully I can pawn that off on my Dealer and get him to do it. Also my O2 light came back so he'll fix that for sure.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #25
-TacoREX
TacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoREX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
TacoREX's Tacoma Gallery
Ok bringing this back from the dead, but I've heard that in some cases the auto transmission may not have enough voltage to activate solenoids if the battery starts dipping below 12volts (which can happen due to cold weather, rain) when the battery is dying. Anyway, if the problem still exists now that its almost been a year, this might be worth looking into.