Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

A/C noisy

Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
A/C noisy

When I start my truck with the A/C off, no problems. As soon as I turn my A/C on, I get this loud, what sounds like grinding noise.

Anyone else experience this? Is it something I can fix? Any idea of cost of repair?

Jeremy
2008 Tacoma
Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
Try loosening the fan belt and turning the compressor's drive, not the compressor's clutch that has all the ribs on it, and see if it feels grindy or has rough spots. If it does, your compressor is probably likely to grenade soon.

Therefore do not use the A/C or the defrost or bi-mode settings as they too run the compressor. If you catch a failing compressor in time you might be able to save the A/C system. If it is already being chopped to bits internally, all those metal pieces are being carried throughout the entire system and hide in the evaporator, condenser and elsewhere ready to break loose at any time and destroy a new compressor. Its a vicious cycle. The fix is usually to replace every component on the system. Sometimes you can flush the hoses and save a few bucks but everything else has to be replaced.

EDIT: I have added a link for you. Read through this thread and see if anything in it sounds familiar to you: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...or-clutch.html

Maybe it is something as simple as the a/c clutch's rubber shock-loading buffer coming apart. Problem is the are no spare parts for the Delphi swash plate SP-15 compressor.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
So I stopped at the dealership yesterday, and was told the '08s are more likely to have a problem with the A/C motor fan inside the dash than the compressor - also a $130 part vs $600 from the dealer.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Taco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco'09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Taco'09's Tacoma Gallery
OP, sounds like someone could be scamming you. There is no a/c motor inside the dash -- there is a single general HVAC squirrel-cage type fan that is mounted vertically on the right side just above your feet next to the glove box. It is mounted with three screws, and you can get to it without taking any part of the dash apart. Take a mirror and flashlight and you can clearly see how it is mounted. However, if you want to access the fan's filter, you will have to remove the glove box.

I bought the latest TSB fan motor from one of the discounters for less than $100 I believe.

The only thing else I can think of is there are three servo motors that move the air mix flaps inside the HVAC unit. Is your noise occur at a particular setting and goes away at another setting? Does it sound like a motor and plastic gears constantly struggling and grinding? There is a problem with one servo in particular that strips its internal plastic gears and produces a grinding noise. Try several settings and report back and I'll give you a link on the servo problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
b7t8 is on a distinguished road
b7t8's Tacoma Gallery
Part Number?

Do you have a Toyota part number for the fan motor assembly?