Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2014 shudder issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
C1ph3r [OP] C1ph3r is offline
Senior Member
C1ph3r is on a distinguished road
 
C1ph3r's Avatar
Name: A.W.
Joined: Sep 2013, #113519
Location: Concord NC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 172
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
2014 shudder issues

Year: 2014
Make: Tacoma
Model: DCSB TRD-Off road
Engine size:V6
Transmission: Auto

The truck is brand new with no mods. When i test drove it it had 7 miles on it. When accelerating from a stop there is a distinct vibration/shudder as the truck passes up thought about 15-30 mph. I have been really babying it as to try and break it in according to the owners manual guide lines. So if you accelerate really slow it's not as bad but with what I would call normal acceleration it's very noticeable. in higher gears, going up slight inclines at low RPM is seems to vibrate a little or feel strange. I am not a mechanic but i can tell when something doesn't feel right.

Anyone else experience something like this? i have read other stories of the techs not being able to duplicate a customers issues when there is definitely something going on.

Suggestions? The dealer i purchased from is a good distance away but i have some close to me. should i take it to the dealer i bought it from or the one closest? I feel the one i bought it from may have more of a vested interest in addressing my issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Junior Member
morrisminor is on a distinguished road
Army: CW3 R/W F/W pilot
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2012, #80329
Location: Mountain View, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
morrisminor's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma 2 wheel drive automatic V6.
I have a shutter just after the truck starts to move. About 5' to 8' from the start. Toyota has tried to correct it several times. The factory told me it was "normal", then they did an other update and reduced the shutter, but didn't correct it. It seems to be worst on normal take-off.
Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Old Guy...In a Kids Truck
2012sporttrd is on a distinguished road
 
2012sporttrd's Avatar
Name: Brad
Joined: Dec 2011, #68570
Location: N.Illinois
Gender: Male
Posts: 135
2012sporttrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ph3r View Post
Year: 2014
Make: Tacoma
Model: DCSB TRD-Off road
Engine size:V6
Transmission: Auto

The truck is brand new with no mods. When i test drove it it had 7 miles on it. When accelerating from a stop there is a distinct vibration/shudder as the truck passes up thought about 15-30 mph. I have been really babying it as to try and break it in according to the owners manual guide lines. So if you accelerate really slow it's not as bad but with what I would call normal acceleration it's very noticeable. in higher gears, going up slight inclines at low RPM is seems to vibrate a little or feel strange. I am not a mechanic but i can tell when something doesn't feel right.

Anyone else experience something like this? i have read other stories of the techs not being able to duplicate a customers issues when there is definitely something going on.

Suggestions? The dealer i purchased from is a good distance away but i have some close to me. should i take it to the dealer i bought it from or the one closest? I feel the one i bought it from may have more of a vested interest in addressing my issue.
I have 2012 TRD Sport Long bed same issues....Toyota had a TSB out for ....does anyone else know?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Member
Tacomaruss is on a distinguished road
Canadian Army: bin rat
Name: Russ
Joined: Aug 2013, #110510
Location: Leduc
Gender: Male
Posts: 39
Tacomaruss's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Trail teams trd dclb....exact same issue. From what ive read here the past few months, we are not alone and there is no fix for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
guitarplayer360 is on a distinguished road
 
guitarplayer360's Avatar
Navy: SNA
Joined: Jul 2013, #108774
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
guitarplayer360's Tacoma Gallery
TONS of info about this issue...Recommend trying the search function.

I've got shutter...became a little worse after the lift. But as far as I know it's just something we all have to deal with. There are fixes you can attempt, but none are end-all solutions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
C1ph3r [OP] C1ph3r is offline
Senior Member
C1ph3r is on a distinguished road
 
C1ph3r's Avatar
Name: A.W.
Joined: Sep 2013, #113519
Location: Concord NC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 172
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way this is normal. Had a similar issue with my jeep and turned out it was the torque converter. This isn't something we should have to live with. Mine is getting dropped off at toyota this morning. We'll see how it goes. Mine is really bad from a normal take off going uphill. And I also have it when holding about 40 or so going up the slightest hill
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Junior Member
morrisminor is on a distinguished road
Army: CW3 R/W F/W pilot
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2012, #80329
Location: Mountain View, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
morrisminor's Tacoma Gallery
I complained from the first servicing about the vibration. The factory rep has inspected the truck and said it was "normal". After that they did a TSB0249-12, which is a steering dampner. Sounds like wrong direction entirely. Something they did along the way reduced the shutter by about 50%, but it is still there. I'm not sure what that was.
Mike
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
C1ph3r [OP] C1ph3r is offline
Senior Member
C1ph3r is on a distinguished road
 
C1ph3r's Avatar
Name: A.W.
Joined: Sep 2013, #113519
Location: Concord NC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 172
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Well I apparently have an amazing dealer. The tech noticed it first time out and said it is definitely not normal. They are going to keep it this week, pull a new truck off the lot and start swapping parts. So at least my dealer doesn't think its normal by any means and is going to attempt to fix. Thank goodness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jan 2013, #94485
Location: Brevard County FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 310
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, for these trucks it is "normal.". I'm not saying its right, but it is normal. They tried the TSB on my 2012 and it did no good. I have since lifted mine and made my own improvements. I over torqued (way over torqued) my u bolts on the rear leaf springs to 90 ft lbs. This didn't fix the problem completely, but it's much better. OEM calls for 37 ft lbs which seems way too low. Good luck, but most of us have found work arounds or chosen to live with it. As mentioned, lots of information on TW about this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
guitarplayer360 is on a distinguished road
 
guitarplayer360's Avatar
Navy: SNA
Joined: Jul 2013, #108774
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
guitarplayer360's Tacoma Gallery
I've learned to live with it. One day I will begin to work on it and maybe take it to a shop to discuss some workarounds, but I'm just too busy to work with mechanics and dedicate my time/money to fixing it right now.

It really is a burden though...wish Toyota fixed this after the first few years of the 2nd gens being out. 8 years of a generation and this hasnt been fixed?? stupid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future
 
Graham's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2009, #15723
Location: Western New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 659
Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpAdct View Post
Actually, for these trucks it is "normal.". I'm not saying its right, but it is normal. They tried the TSB on my 2012 and it did no good. I have since lifted mine and made my own improvements. I over torqued (way over torqued) my u bolts on the rear leaf springs to 90 ft lbs. This didn't fix the problem completely, but it's much better. OEM calls for 37 ft lbs which seems way too low. Good luck, but most of us have found work arounds or chosen to live with it. As mentioned, lots of information on TW about this.
Why does overtorquing the bolts diminish the shudder? I had to replace me rear leaf springs and got a 2" lift in the rear and have been dealing with "shudder/vibration" ever since. I am certain that the vibration is coming from the drive shaft and don't see how re-torquing the ubolts will help. I'm going to do this but don't understand the mechanics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
Member
Turbogeno is on a distinguished road
 
Turbogeno's Avatar
Navy: Submarine ICC
Name: Geno
Joined: Apr 2013, #103163
Location: NY Adirondacks
Gender: Male
Posts: 30
Turbogeno's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW I also found this while looking around.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...takeoff-2.html

Quote
I have a fix to everyones problem , ive found out how to fix the shutter when starting off and the vibration when driving . if anyone needs to know how you fix these aggravating problems . the fix cost about $160 bucks. buy 3 new ujoints ( i used moog brand ) , drop the center bearing down about an 1 1/2 and put shims in , bolt everything back up and your problem is fixed . the problem is the drive shaft angle . why toyota let this problem go as long as they are , its crazy , and they still dont have a fix for it . the ujoints are in a bind because of the angle . on these trucks , even though the ujoints look good while theyre bolted to the truck , you will be able to tell once you take them off . the ujoints take care of the vibration while driving and dropping the center bearing takes care of the shutter starting off . if you have any questions , just pm me .
Quote
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Senior Member
guitarplayer360 is on a distinguished road
 
guitarplayer360's Avatar
Navy: SNA
Joined: Jul 2013, #108774
Location: Northern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
guitarplayer360's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogeno View Post
FWIW I also found this while looking around.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...takeoff-2.html

Quote
I have a fix to everyones problem , ive found out how to fix the shutter when starting off and the vibration when driving . if anyone needs to know how you fix these aggravating problems . the fix cost about $160 bucks. buy 3 new ujoints ( i used moog brand ) , drop the center bearing down about an 1 1/2 and put shims in , bolt everything back up and your problem is fixed . the problem is the drive shaft angle . why toyota let this problem go as long as they are , its crazy , and they still dont have a fix for it . the ujoints are in a bind because of the angle . on these trucks , even though the ujoints look good while theyre bolted to the truck , you will be able to tell once you take them off . the ujoints take care of the vibration while driving and dropping the center bearing takes care of the shutter starting off . if you have any questions , just pm me .
Quote
This is a pretty common fix...it makes sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
C1ph3r [OP] C1ph3r is offline
Senior Member
C1ph3r is on a distinguished road
 
C1ph3r's Avatar
Name: A.W.
Joined: Sep 2013, #113519
Location: Concord NC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 172
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so an update. First, if there are fixes for this, why isn't everyone making toyota pay for it?

Anyway, back to the update, so my dealer calls me today. They duplicated the issues on my truck and a few others on the lot. They are telling me now that it is "normal". So to trouble shoot it the removed the drive shaft, drove in 4hi and the problem was still there. That eliminates the carrier bearing or the drive shaft.

Does anyone have information on what a dealer has actually done to fix this problem? I have tried to search but not finding any info on what a dealer did to resolve it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
Joined: Jan 2013, #94485
Location: Brevard County FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 310
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Why does overtorquing the bolts diminish the shudder? I had to replace me rear leaf springs and got a 2" lift in the rear and have been dealing with "shudder/vibration" ever since. I am certain that the vibration is coming from the drive shaft and don't see how re-torquing the ubolts will help. I'm going to do this but don't understand the mechanics?
Not sure, just know it helped me and some others I've read about. Let us know if you see any change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #18
Junior Member
Gregstukey is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2012, #84925
Gender: Male
Posts: 13
Gregstukey's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like classic carrier bearing shudder in your driveshaft. I had a takeoff shudder--replaced the driveshaft with a 1 piece and no shudder whatsoever. Not sure why Toyota went with a 2 piece driveshaft--seems to only produce complaints. Smooth as silk now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2009, #12767
Location: <----------------->
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,695
T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Calling it "normal" is bullshit. What they mean when they say that is that all of our trucks with 2 piece driveshafts have a problem. Accepting and living with it as "normal" is also bullshit. Please see post 13 above to make your 2 piece of shit driveshaft trucks behave normally. The dealerships and factory suck ass to not be able to correct this and it is because people just say oh well and deal with it. Complacency is what makes this possible. Buy a regular cab if you want to do nothing about it and have no driveshaft issues, it comes with one piece driveshaft.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
C1ph3r [OP] C1ph3r is offline
Senior Member
C1ph3r is on a distinguished road
 
C1ph3r's Avatar
Name: A.W.
Joined: Sep 2013, #113519
Location: Concord NC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 172
C1ph3r's Tacoma Gallery
This is absolutely bull. My issue is that they duplicated the issue with the drive shaft disconnected driving in 4wd hi.

I personally can't get a standard cab due to the need of the 4 door. I wonder if the dealer would be willing to shim the bearing?

Well my dealer is willing to replace my truck. Even if it has the same issue should I do that? I don't want to live with it. At least if I get a different truck it will be a different problem I suppose.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 RAV4 or 2014 Subaru XV Crosstek? stroked383z Off-Topic Discussion 13 10-03-2013 07:49 AM
Different shudder Tbaytaco 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 11-12-2011 07:58 AM
Take-off shudder obxfishn 2nd Gen. Tacomas 25 08-09-2011 05:02 PM
Shudder like No Other!!!!! ETaco23 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 11-28-2010 06:02 PM
shudder? Rudbwoy7s 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 11-03-2008 07:59 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.