Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota rust problems???

Old 10-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
KrauseWillHunt is on a distinguished road
KrauseWillHunt's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota rust problems???

I was on Facebook earlier when I saw a post about this kid put saying Toyota trucks are sh*t. Needless to say I defended these rugged little pick ups. He said he only hated them because he read, on the Internet of course, that they had bad rust problems. For me, even if its true, that problem seem very minor considering just how darn durable they are. We've hade one in the past and just recently got a new one. Is rust really THAT big of a problem with them? And if so surely they fixed it right?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
True about rust.

The rest falls under erryone having the right to an opinion
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Thank god for warrantees, huh?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
CelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it pisses me off when people give Taco owners shit about Toyotas not being made in America either... about half of them are built here.. Plus, with the rust, you can have a welder, weld on a huge piece of steel, and the problems fixed! lol
Old 10-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Rust depends on where you live more than any one make having a bigger problem than another. Rust is equal opportunity destructor. That being said, not having a boxed frame is less than impressive.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
AeroKen is on a distinguished road

Name: Kendrick
AeroKen's Tacoma Gallery
A little rust is normal. Here's some pics of my 2011 that has 30k miles on it and undercarriage eval summary by a mechanic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps5cfc801e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps2b4c9051.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps7c1d0f61.jpg

I plan to scrub it up nice and clean and then use some high-heat auto/engine paint to protect it further, but that is probably not necessary. Although, as the new owner, I will be on decidedly less-friendly road and conditions with it.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Falconman is on a distinguished road
Name: ralph
Falconman's Tacoma Gallery
Do it yourself rust preventative !

Up here in North country of New England, all the trucks rust away, all makes, no exceptions ! I recently finished applying "FLUID FILM" and have done the inside if the doors, rockers, engine compartment, inside tailgate, the frame and everything underneath. Look it up, you can even buy it on Amazon including the application gun and besides the gallon size they have spray cans for small hard to reach areas. Now I just found out our local NAPA store is selling it and local shops are starting to apply it ! This was developed for heavy industrial and military applications and the heavy equipment and big truck markets have used it for quite some time. Depending on what environment your truck is in you can re-spray it yearly or every couple of years. Worth a try, better than doing nothing !
Old 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
AeroKen is on a distinguished road

Name: Kendrick
AeroKen's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip. I may just go that route, rather than paint. Is it high-heat tolerant, or would you still want to use engine-paint where appropriate?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get to it this summer when I start working again