Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil Change interval and type help

Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Nuckin Futz
Divingtigger will become famous soon enoughDivingtigger will become famous soon enough

Divingtigger's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change interval and type help

Ok First let me state that I did a search but couldn't find any info that matched my situation.

In the non winter months I use my truck once a week if that (I do a lot of biking and running). My truck is a 2007 and I just hit 50,000 KM's.

In the summer we see +40 degrees C and the Winter we can see -40 degrees C.

I use synthetic 5w30 in my truck. How often should I be changing it?
Should I go by months or mileage?

I found an old work report from the dealership (November report) and noticed that they were putting 5w20 in my truck. Should I be using 5w30 (which is written on the oil filler cap) or 5w20 (which is recommended in the manual)?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
I use 5w20 synthetic.

This is just my opinion, but under the usage you describe I'd stick with every 5K. If it were sitting a lot year round, I'd probably go with every 6 months.

For some reason this sticks in my head: "Every 5K or 6 months, whichever comes first."

But like I said, just my opinion. Everyone has one when it comes to oil, oil filters, and change intervals. FWIW
Old 10-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Nuckin Futz
Divingtigger will become famous soon enoughDivingtigger will become famous soon enough

5k miles or kilometers? Thanks for the input
Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingtigger View Post
5k miles or kilometers? Thanks for the input
I missed your location. I'm going off miles, so that would translate to every 8K kilometers or 6 months.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Nuckin Futz

Figured you meant miles but thought it doesn't hurt to ask for clarification. Thanks again
Old 10-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Oil cap says 5w30. That'll do fine. Change it 5000 km or 6 months. If you feel you need to change it sooner. Go right ahead. You probably idle a lot to warm it up in winter. Things like this shorten the interval.