Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Getting a slight odor of coolant

Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Getting a slight odor of coolant

Ever now & then I'm getting a slight odor of coolant. Sometimes when I start my truck(when it is cold) & sometimes when I'm driving.

I can't find any leaks. Nothing is dripping. The overflow was a little low, about an inch from full.

Any ideas? I have 110,000 miles on my 05 DC.

When is the proper time to change the water pump on the 2nd gen?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
There is a "weap hole" to let you know when the water pump has lived out its life. If you see dried coolant under the waterpump then it's time for a new one. I changed mine at 60K
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks. How difficult was it to change? How much does a water pump for these trucks cost?

I changed one on a 97 Jeep Grand cherokee. That was a bitch to change. No room to work.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its not too difficult, just time consueming...Here is some info:
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/05+/data/...a/01600110.pdf

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/05+/data/...a/01600310.pdf

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/05+/data/...06ta/01600.pdf
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
There is a "weap hole" to let you know when the water pump has lived out its life. If you see dried coolant under the waterpump then it's time for a new one. I changed mine at 60K
where bouts do you see this weap hole?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
where bouts do you see this weap hole?
The water hole is on the left side of the pulley..about halfway down.

INSPECTION
1. INSPECT WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY
(a) Visually check the water hole for coolant leakage.
If leakage is found, replace the water pump
assembly.
(b) Turn the pulley and check that the water pump
bearing moves smoothly and quietly.
If necessary, replace the water pump assembly.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #7

Second link I gave, at the bottom.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I bought my 99 3.4 V6 at 57,000. First thing I did was to change timing belt, cam seals, and when I pulled the water pump I could see it was leaking. On a 3.4 the water pump is almost a required item (at time belt change)because it's already broken down to that point. Don't forget I was replacing cam gear seals and had to pull off the cam gears.(timeing belt also) so a h2o pump was the least of my cost or worry, just good insurance. By the way @ 57800 miles the belt was in great shape, no rot or cracks. I now have 100K and looking forward to the next 40K.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #9

In my case I didn't even notice the leak (on a 3.4) with all the belts, fan and plastic on the front end. Once it was all removed,...crap I see my waterpump is leaking. No difference in cooling, but I "ASSUME" at factory intervals some mechanic would see it. Never assume anything. Just make a point to look at the water pump the next time the plastic is off your truck(somewhere in the 70-90 thousand mile range). That is my opinion.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
In my case I didn't even notice the leak (on a 3.4) with all the belts, fan and plastic on the front end. Once it was all removed,...crap I see my waterpump is leaking. No difference in cooling, but I "ASSUME" at factory intervals some mechanic would see it. Never assume anything. Just make a point to look at the water pump the next time the plastic is off your truck(somewhere in the 70-90 thousand mile range). That is my opinion.
I'm passed the 70-90k range. Sitting at 110,000 miles.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery

Update: Had my truck checked out. No leaks could be found. The water pump had no problems. The tech said the 2nd gen trucks have better components & last alot longer. The hoses & belt looked great.

I took it to a new place in Atlanta. http://www.toyotechs.com/about-us/

I had gotten some quotes if the water pump needed replacing.

Atlanta Toyota quoted $766 WTF That is crazy.

Athens Toyota $666 WTF That is crazy.

Toyotech $466.

Also I asked what they would charge to replace my shocks, if I brought in Bilstien 5100's. $350 to replace all 4. Goodyear quoted me $550.

I will start using this place instead of the dealer for major repairs.