Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Transmission issue when putting truck into drive?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
CRiz is on a distinguished road
Name: Christopher
CRiz's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission issue when putting truck into drive?

Hey guys, I have a issue with my truck that sometimes when I put the truck in drive and I let of the brakes the truck doesn't move. I have to give the truck has for it to start moving again and when it does the truck kind of jumps and you hear a thump. Everything else seems to be normal with the transmission expect for that issue! The truck shifts fine and doesn't seem to have any other problems with transmission. I haven't check any of the transmission fluids and I haven't check any mounts either cause I'm unsure on how to do it!

Any help will be appreciated thank you!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
CRiz's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have your parking brake on?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
CRiz's Tacoma Gallery
No the parking/emergency brake isn't on as far I know. It is pubs all the way back and should be disengage
Old 10-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
AKTacoParty is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Jake
AKTacoParty's Tacoma Gallery
There is no dipstick for trans fluid level? I know the 2nd gens are sealed, but yours might have one. You should definitely check the level. Also take notice of color and smell.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Has the truck ever done this when you don't use you're e brake at all? Sounds to me like the ebrake isn't disengaging all the way.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
The few tacomas I have driven do this, all 2nd gen autos. The truck hesitates for a second before it feels like it engages. Most noticeable when shifting from R into D.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
The few tacomas I have driven do this, all 2nd gen autos. The truck hesitates for a second before it feels like it engages. Most noticeable when shifting from R into D.

what?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
what?
It Is my understanding that it is a safety feature to prevent damage from quick shifts but shouldn't lag or be unresponsive for more than a second at worst, most of the time it is just a split second.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
This thread has some info you may want to check out. For some there is a separate issue in which a solenoid does not engage properly.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5470693
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
It Is my understanding that it is a safety feature to prevent damage from quick shifts but shouldn't lag or be unresponsive for more than a second at worst, most of the time it is just a split second.
I've never noticed it before. However I don't think it applies to the OP because I think this is something new that he is noticing
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
CRiz's Tacoma Gallery
The problem is only sometimes. I never. Used the e-brake. It happens sometimes, and it's just when I take the truck out of park and put it into drive, and let go of the brake the truck won't roll like it normally does. So I have to give it some gas and then it feels like it pops into gear and the whole truck kind of jumps.