Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Speedo issues after bigger tires and regear

Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jacob
jacobigindi's Tacoma Gallery
Speedo issues after bigger tires and regear

Hey everyone. So I upgraded the tires on my 5 lug from the stock 27" to 32" recently and I experienced the expected change in my speedo and odo accuracy. Since the new tires were about 19% bigger than stock, the speedo read about 19% too slow. Then I regeared to 4.10 and expected the speedo accuracy to go back to being only about 4% off based off the math in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-formula.html. But i was verifying it with a GPS speedo on my phone and it's still about 15 percent off. Anyone know why this could be?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
I think the speedometer is based on wheel speed. Changing your gears didn't affect your wheelspeed relative to the axle, just how fast the engine is turning. Your wheels are still turning 19% different than the distance your speedo thinks you are traveling. The gear change put your RPMs about back to normal, but your bigger tires are still covering more ground with each revolution.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
jacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the roughjacobigindi is a jewel in the rough

darn, i thought it was before the driveshaft. Well at least I have more power now haha
Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly, you must be happy to have the power back, that is a significant change in wheel diameter
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
this... easy install and setup
Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
hmmm I'm very seriously considering this. Found it for 200 with free shipping on autoanything.com.
Any other feedback on this thing?
Also, if i have an ultragauge, will the calibrator correct the speed and mileage data going to it through the OBDII?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobigindi View Post
Also, if i have an ultragauge, will the calibrator correct the speed and mileage data going to it through the OBDII?
When you install it, check and double check that you've connected it the right way. Unlike many modern "idiot proof" plugs, it's possible to plug this unit in backwards. That's not a reason not to do it - just a reason to be careful.

I haven't used it with an Ultragauge, so I can't say for sure. You could call tech support at Hypertech and ask them.