Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Considering upgrading the rear drum brakes to disc--thoughts

Old 10-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
my71chevynova is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
my71chevynova's Tacoma Gallery
Considering upgrading the rear drum brakes to disc--thoughts

I'm considering upgrading my rear brakes to disc and would greatly appreciate any input. I have a 2006 base model single cab with the 2.7 4cyl. Came from the factory with front disc and rear drum.

Ive never cared for drum brakes but they were never a consideration until i started towing a smaller popup camper. I'm considering the change due to the ease of changing the disc brakes and their upgraded stopping power vs the drum.

If anyone could give me an idea of the cost involved and the difficulty of this upgrade i would appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Mjp2 did just that along with a few others.

It actually made things worse.

Assuming we have a large front brake bias, would just slapping rear rotors on have a large effect?

Have u tried improving upon the existing system already?
Better pads and rotors, fluid flush, braided lines, abs kill switch?

As for upgraded stopping power and rear discs..... Keep in mind how light the rear end is.... Composite bed, plastic gas tank. Unloaded, u may need to adjust the bias somehow for safety

Iirc we have better stopping than the disc/disc Nissan frontier.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
my71chevynova is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
my71chevynova's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Mjp2 did just that along with a few others.

It actually made things worse.

Assuming we have a large front brake bias, would just slapping rear rotors on have a large effect?

Have u tried improving upon the existing system already?
Better pads and rotors, fluid flush, braided lines, abs kill switch?

As for upgraded stopping power and rear discs..... Keep in mind how light the rear end is.... Composite bed, plastic gas tank. Unloaded, u may need to adjust the bias somehow for safety

Iirc we have better stopping than the disc/disc Nissan frontier.

I haven't upgraded the front brakes yet but that is one of the next items on the list. I didn't event consider upgrading to disc in the rear would make things worse. I was planning on using some EBC slotted rotors and pads up front. I guess ill skip the upgrade in the rear in favor of an upgrade in the front.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Be aware that brake systems need to be matched to the master cyl.
The size of the pistons area has to work with the master cyl. bore and stroke.
Lots of engineering involved without even getting into ABS and all the other brake controled devices such as traction control ect.
I dislike drums also but you can open up some big ole cans of worms by not doing it the correct way.
If you get it done more power to you sir!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my71chevynova View Post
I haven't upgraded the front brakes yet but that is one of the next items on the list. I didn't event consider upgrading to disc in the rear would make things worse. I was planning on using some EBC slotted rotors and pads up front. I guess ill skip the upgrade in the rear in favor of an upgrade in the front.
I'm running the ebc stage 5 with braided lines now..... Stops great no pulsing, and stops even better with abs off. I can tell when its on or off just by feel.

When I handed it over to Toyota for a trans service, I took a tech on a ride along with his laptop plugged in while he monitored trans values.... After 2 stop signs I knew that something felt odd. I looked up at my switches and noticed the abs was enabled. I flipped the switch and the tech asked me what I did. I told him what it was.... Next stop, nice and firm with 100% user modulated braking.

I forgot I turned them off so the techs wouldn't try to diagnose a lit brake and diff light.