Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

OBA -> On Board Air Mega Thread & BS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #201
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Honestly, my compressor set up should smoke the ARB performance wise. I enjoy figuring shit out so that's the reason I went this route. Overkill is my motto. I also have flexibility to tweak my set up how I please. ARB kind of limits that.
Which compressor do you have? I haven't actually seen real world tests, but on paper the ARB is rated higher than the 480C at 29/30 psi and the Twin ARB is higher than the dual 480C's.

I already have 1 single ARB and I would like to pick up a Twin and hook them all together and see if I can run power tools right off of that.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #202
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Air Zenith OB2
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #203
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
So my set up is finally operational and was able to test it out yesterday with some air tools.

One of the local guys ran an air saw off my truck while cutting bedsides for his HC rear which consumed a ton of air (6CFM is what the box said) and it was enough air to do a a full side on one tank. Compressor ran for over an hour while doing all the cutting.

I also filled up one of my 35's from 12PSI to over 40 on one tanks worth of air. Next time I air down all four, I'll time it on getting back up to street pressure.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #204
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is exactly what I was looking for.

I just ordered a dual Viar 480c kit. I was planning on the 2.5 gal tank but now I have more options.

I plan on doing a tank for horns, tire inflation and quick disconnect in the bed for tools.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #205

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiManKolt View Post
This thread is exactly what I was looking for.

I just ordered a dual Viar 480c kit. I was planning on the 2.5 gal tank but now I have more options.

I plan on doing a tank for horns, tire inflation and quick disconnect in the bed for tools.
Not sure where the OP disappeared off too
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #206
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Not sure where the OP disappeared off too
It's all good. I just wanted to sub. There is plenty of information on the 11 pages. I think I can get it all pieced together but I may have questions while I am at it.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #207

Navy:
Quote:
It's all good. I just wanted to sub. There is plenty of information on the 11 pages. I think I can get it all pieced together but I may have questions while I am at it.
You mounting the 480s behind each tail light ?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #208
Quote:
You mounting the 480s behind each tail light ?
I haven't really decided. My original plan was to mount small compressors in the useless storage bins toward the front of the bed but those small compressors were crap. Thats when I started looking at different brands/makes, prices and CFM. I decided to go with the 480c. The cheapest 480c I could find was $245 shipped but I found a dual 480c kit for $350 shipped so I just went with that.

While going through this thread I have found a lot of good mounting spots but, like someone mentioned earlier, I worry if I mount the compressors too far away from the tank I will loose compression through the lines. I will probably use the storage bins for the breathers at least. I'm pretty sure I will be installing the gauges/regulator in the bed above the power unit.

Do you guys stay pressurized at all times or do you just air up when you plan on using it? Did anyone end up getting those AVS 2 gal slim tanks?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #209

Navy:
Quote:
I haven't really decided. My original plan was to mount small compressors in the useless storage bins toward the front of the bed but those small compressors were crap. Thats when I started looking at different brands/makes, prices and CFM. I decided to go with the 480c. The cheapest 480c I could find was $245 shipped but I found a dual 480c kit for $350 shipped so I just went with that.

While going through this thread I have found a lot of good mounting spots but, like someone mentioned earlier, I worry if I mount the compressors too far away from the tank I will loose compression through the lines. I will probably use the storage bins for the breathers at least. I'm pretty sure I will be installing the gauges/regulator in the bed above the power unit.

Do you guys stay pressurized at all times or do you just air up when you plan on using it? Did anyone end up getting those AVS 2 gal slim tanks?
No need to worry about loss of compression with extended leader hoses, it's just more space for the compressor to fill. It's going to fill until the entire system reaches the pressure switch's set PSI. I have a leader hose thats 2x the length of the included. Just make sure to get a stainless steel hose made that can withstand the heat and pressure.

I'd mount the 480's behind the tail lights. I wish my Air Zenith would have fit there. Somewhere you can co-locate them together would be good too, it'll minimize the fittings and wiring. The AVS slim tanks arlong, so they'd have to go inside of the bed sides. A ton of work, to get access to the tanks, and fittings. I have the AVS 5 gallon under my bed. e

If I know I'm heading somewhere to air up, I'll kick it on so it'll be full when I need it. I do have a slight air leak somewhere I need to locate so my compressor kicks on every 2hrs or so when it drops below 160psi.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #210
Quote:
No need to worry about loss of compression with extended leader hoses, it's just more space for the compressor to fill. It's going to fill until the entire system reaches the pressure switch's set PSI. I have a leader hose thats 2x the length of the included. Just make sure to get a stainless steel hose made that can withstand the heat and pressure.

I'd mount the 480's behind the tail lights. I wish my Air Zenith would have fit there. Somewhere you can co-locate them together would be good too, it'll minimize the fittings and wiring. The AVS slim tanks arlong, so they'd have to go inside of the bed sides. A ton of work, to get access to the tanks, and fittings. I have the AVS 5 gallon under my bed. e

If I know I'm heading somewhere to air up, I'll kick it on so it'll be full when I need it. I do have a slight air leak somewhere I need to locate so my compressor kicks on every 2hrs or so when it drops below 160psi.
I am all about minimizing lol

I am hoping that once I have everything installed and working I wont have to access them too much (other then to drain the tank occasionally). Not saying I am going to do it but would there be any pros/cons to having multiple tanks? example: 5 gal under bed and 2 gal in bedsides?

Also how does your 5 gal fit under there? is it snug or do you have room?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #211

Navy:
I
Quote:
I am all about minimizing lol

I am hoping that once I have everything installed and working I wont have to access them too much (other then to drain the tank occasionally). Not saying I am going to do it but would there be any pros/cons to having multiple tanks? example: 5 gal under bed and 2 gal in bedsides?

Also how does your 5 gal fit under there? is it snug or do you have room?
Way overkill to have 7 gallons of air on a truck for filling tires and run a air horn.

The 5 gallon is TIGHT between the frame rails. Can't use some of the Ports because of this.

As far as draining, you can wire a valve to remotely dump the tank. Adding more tanks also makes more fittings for leaks !
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #212
Quote:
I

Way overkill to have 7 gallons of air on a truck for filling tires and run a air horn.

The 5 gallon is TIGHT between the frame rails. Can't use some of the Ports because of this.

As far as draining, you can wire a valve to remotely dump the tank. Adding more tanks also makes more fittings for leaks !
I totally agree; more fittings, more leaks. I was looking at the AVS 5 gal and they have a bunch of differnet options. They only make ones with ports on the top (bottom in our case) for the 9 port version.

And I just realized I paid $350 for the dual 480c kit when there is a dual 480c kit with 5 gal tank for $400 shipped... Thats annoying.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #213

Navy:
Quote:
I totally agree; more fittings, more leaks. I was looking at the AVS 5 gal and they have a bunch of differnet options. They only make ones with ports on the top (bottom in our case) for the 9 port version.

And I just realized I paid $350 for the dual 480c kit when there is a dual 480c kit with 5 gal tank for $400 shipped... Thats annoying.
You can always run a manifold block. Not too concerned with ports on the tank. I can use three of mine. Pressure switch, leader hose and one out. Going to put a manifold block on it for my regulator for lockers and running front and rear air line for quick disconnects in each bumper.

You can also use the block to eliminate the need for extended leaders as they are expensive and you'll need two.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #214
Just received my Viair 480c compressors today. I am hoping to be able to play with mounting locations this weekend. Aaron, you said that behind the taillights is the best location. Will I have to pull off my bedsides or can it be done through the cubby hole and under the bed?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #215

Navy:
Quote:
Just received my Viair 480c compressors today. I am hoping to be able to play with mounting locations this weekend. Aaron, you said that behind the taillights is the best location. Will I have to pull off my bedsides or can it be done through the cubby hole and under the bed?
You'll just have to pull the taillights and the Cubby's out of the bed. Should be able to get up there no issues. That's how I test fit mine, and found it was too beastly.

Looking forward to your oba build !
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #216
I started playing around with the passanger side. I pulled the tail light and the cubby. It fits but just barely. I got one whole drilled but it's looking like I have very limited access to the other 3 holes I would need to drill. If I could get the rear wheel well liner out I should be able to shoot the holes from the inside but other than cutting them out it looks like that will be a job in it's self.

I will update as soon as I have time to mess with it again.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #217

Navy:
Quote:
I started playing around with the passanger side. I pulled the tail light and the cubby. It fits but just barely. I got one whole drilled but it's looking like I have very limited access to the other 3 holes I would need to drill. If I could get the rear wheel well liner out I should be able to shoot the holes from the inside but other than cutting them out it looks like that will be a job in it's self.

I will update as soon as I have time to mess with it again.
I ended up just ripping mine out, I have to cut them for my hc bumper anyways. Just remove the three rear bolts, and pull the clips out. You can flap it towards the front and have plenty of room
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #218
I got the holes drilled and finally found a 3/8" theaded female coupler to put on the end for now. I also worked on a dual tire chuck to fill one side at a time. I got most of the wiring yesterday so I may be trying to finish that part up this weekend. This shit is NOT cheap.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #219

Navy:
Quote:
I got the holes drilled and finally found a 3/8" theaded female coupler to put on the end for now. I also worked on a dual tire chuck to fill one side at a time. I got most of the wiring yesterday so I may be trying to finish that part up this weekend. This shit is NOT cheap.
Brass and copper costs are outrageous
Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #220
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Going to have to get some photos of my set-up and post it here. Viair 450 (I think?) compressor mounted on RH tail light bulkhead, 4 gallon tank under the bed (no spare under there anymore). A cubby mounted home built manifold with regulator for ARB lockers at 80 PSI and Quick Disconnect for hose to fill tires, pressure gauges pre and post regulator, two ASCO solenoids for the lockers on manifold. 8 gauge wirie for compressor 16 gauge for control all in Riuku (German) flex conduit routed bside factory wire harness so it looks legit. All wire connections sealed inside aluminum junction boxes with gasketed covers. Dash panel for compressor on/off swithc and locked enable switches with indicator lights.

Products Discussed in this Thread