1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA -> On Board Air Mega Thread & BS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gunshot-6A, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Nov 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Personally, I am going to run a coil of hose from mine to make a 6' run -> air separator -> tank.

At first it will look like crap, but when I go hard lines, it will look nice. Polished and similar to a distiller, or a coil spring.

2. Nov 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Damn, thats your other setup? nice.

I have check valves all over the place. Plan to keep the system up to pressure all the time. In my opinion, that leaves you less chance of failure when it really counts. If your system goes offline, you would still have x gallons of air already and could use that.

My setup also has a drain valve. Think every system should. Properly 'graded' the tank or proper drainage as well.

3. Nov 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    Yep, that was the old ride back in 2005...

Since you like redundancy have you thought of using a schrader valve in one of the spare bungs if you have a compressor failure it'll allow you to fill off someone else's OBA to run lockers.

4. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    already done. Check valve and a manual valve there also. In reality, I cannot imagine my system going down with dual compressors/.

I am thinking of a second 1 gal tank relocated somewhere else though. Then again, my end goal is to have AIRTANK SLIDERS. So I might scrap that idea. My air tank might be converted into a water storage vessel. Not sure yet. Sliders are a ways off since I want to learn to weld.

5. Nov 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    This is the manifold for my on-board air. This manifold is 12" long and 1.75" high. The bracket on the top hold a regulator to set the pressure for the lockers at 80 PSI. There are ports on the front, top and back sides and the whole thing just fits into the cubby hole on the passenger side of the bed. The compressor is a Viair 400C and a 3 gallon tank is under the bed just in front of the rear bumper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Nov 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Thats a nice piece of ART! Man, what was the price point to get one of them made? Or you said you did it yourself?

7. Nov 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I though about this project for a couple weeks. I planned like 3 different manifold schemes on paper and then once I had the regulator, solenoids (2), the fittings, pressure switch, etc. I set about fitting it into that bed-side cubby hole box. I had to abort the first plan as it just would not fit. This one has two separate sections with one part pre-regulator and the other post regulator. Due to space limitations I think I will have to run the pressure switch/relay under the truck mounted directly to the air tank if I can tuck it well out of harms way.

I made this in my garage shop. Nice to have a full size mill.

bonnfabrication likes this.
  8. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Got a pic of you mill? just currious.

9. Nov 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    My mill is a full size Grizzly brand mill (Chineese copy of Bridgeport), and I use it a lot for a hobbyist. We have a couple Bridgeport mills at work and they are a little bit better in some ways but cost 3 to 4 times as much new. I tried to buy a used Bridgeport, but all I saw were in rough shape and they still wanted big dollars. I bought a benchtop mill first, but found its limitations right away and was able to trade up without loosing a dime! Having a mill is just the beginning, you need all kinds of tooling and cutters before you can make anything. Same with a lathe.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. Nov 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Nice! I owned a Lathe for a short time. Used it for all sorts of nice projects. Sadly Got rid of it when space got limited and living arrangements changed. Having a GARAGE or workspace is a nice comoditity, unfortunately I do not have right now. My hope, is that right after tax season, Purchase another house with either a garage or enough property to put a garage on.

I see nice tools and machining equiptment on CL local to me all the time and drool over them. Can't count how many times I have actually passed up FREE tools especially a full sized Drill press.

Ideally I would have a 2 port garage with 30' ceilings, one or two lifts, then an attached shop on the side and possible a separate machine shop also attached.

I feel my creativity is only limited by the space I have at hand. All the sketched tech I have that I want to bring to life would have a nice impact on the industries I have directed them towards.

A nice piece of property. That would be great for the family. :endrant:

11. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    PMed about this but skygear thought it'd be a useful addition to this thread here so I'll copy paste our Pm's here:

I asked him if he thought this would be a viable addition with our platform.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/91/ExtremeFlow+Belt+Drive+Compressor+SERPENTINE+BELT.html

His response was this:

Yes, appears so. I would like to see some reviews and it installed on other platforms first. Remember an longer serpentine belt would come into play here./

I had considered doing a belt driven version. Decided with all the people having issues on other boards I would steer clear. The issues were overheating, and having to idle at a higher RPM to make it useable.

If this is not the case with this one. I would be interested. - My engine bay is going to get cramped quick when I decide to add the URD super charger kit, and HO Alternator. I would have to see how the space looked after that install.

Realistically had been researching them in depth, the brand that is, never came across this one though. DUAL on mine was the goal. But if the reliability is there on this, and space allows, i could see upgrading to it. POsSIBLY even ADDING it to the current setup.

12. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    My thinking is the same, I'd like to see some real world use from this first but it seems like it could be a good solution for OBA, if it works.

13. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
  14. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Desert Drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Yes, an engine driven compressor has enormous capability! It would be able to run pneumatic tools and refill tires very rapidly. The downside is modifying your belt drive system to make it work. As my truck is not two years old yet I was not willing to modify the vehicles belt drive system. And for about 250 or $300 I can have my 12volt powered compressor and mount it out of the heat of the engine wherever I want. Remember if you really want easy and NO installation you can buy a portable compressor in a carryable pack.

15. Nov 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    yep./ I'm still up in the air about it. That one is rated up to 200 psi also though. Could be an interesting addition. ONLY after my URD instal though. POwer and POWER first. Then revisit the air since mine is completed to current needs.

Air tank sliders also for me before I go this route.

If I had not already done mine. Would have put more time into the research of this one. Especially due to the date this has been around. Funny there are no real reviews or youtube on it.

16. Nov 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Yeah, I've been looking too. What is you do for a living skygear (if that IS your real name)? :p

Just curious

17. Nov 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I'm a philanthropist. Hence why I am broke al the time. I offer my skill set(s) for free to most, take care of my family the rest of the time.

Jack of all trades, master of many. I like to deal with facts, not fiction and will research something til I am proficient in it.

18. Nov 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    You can make money being a philanthropist?

19. Nov 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Nope. By definition,

Instead it is my skills that I give away for free. Where in most circles, by trade, that is money.

20. Nov 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    That's why I was surprised haha. "wait, isn't that counter productive?"

Well my friend you seem to have many skills. Still not entirely sure how support a family giving everything away, but hey, if it works it works.

Products Discussed in

To Top