Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Leaking front differential

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Databox is on a distinguished road
Army: Airframe Mechanic
Databox's Tacoma Gallery
Leaking front differential

So when I was changing my oil, I noticed one of the CV boots on the passenger side was torn. Then I saw on the driver side gear oil has been leaking out, where the CV axle goes into the differential on the drivers side.

I've replaced CV joints on other vehicles before, so I was thinking of taking this on. So I searched the forum and found some great write-ups (it never fails...that's why I love this site). But I still have some questions.

If I am going to go to the trouble to pull out the CV axles should I go ahead and have the wheel bearings replaced? Truck has about 115,000 miles on it. Seems like fixing bearing issues is what gets a lot of people started on this job.

Also, would it also be wise, since it would be this disassembled and it has this many miles, to consider replacing other front end components like ball joints and tie-rod ends? Or if it's not broke don't fix it? I just know it's at about this amount of milage these things begin to fail.

Just looking for some collective wisdom.

here's a pic of the oil leak

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got the money to do it all the. Go ahead can't hurt anything, as for the leak I don't know about 2nd gens but on 1st gens there's a seal inside that's supposed to get replaced every time you remove the cv axle also it doesn't look seated all the way against the diff
Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Databox is on a distinguished road
Army: Airframe Mechanic
Databox's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I started to tally up all the cost. Even doing all the labor it's expensive.

I'll probably only fix the broke things right now.