LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (discount)

Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
agapedisciple is on a distinguished road

agapedisciple's Tacoma Gallery
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (discount)

I read on another post about the Fumoto "quick" oil drain plug replacements. These things look sturdy and well recommended so I picked up a couple for my Tacoma and my GF's car. (Last time I changed her oil, I lost my 14mm socket so this thing is already worth it for me. )

If you're interested, check out mhadden's post on Toyota Nation for a 10% off discount code. LINK

GOD Bless!

Edit:
Here's a good write-up someone made for more info...
Fumoto Installation
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
So now a mischeiveous someone can drain the oil out of your truck without any tools.

It also doesn't sound like the thing to have on an off-road truck. I'd hate to have my oil accidently drained out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
So now a mischeiveous someone can drain the oil out of your truck without any tools.

It also doesn't sound like the thing to have on an off-road truck. I'd hate to have my oil accidently drained out in the middle of nowhere.
Oh, come on! Where's your sence of adventure.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

All joking aside, if I did my own oil changes, I might consider this...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:

If someone would like to drain my oil, the drain plug bolt really isn't going to stop them. And I really wouldn't mind that much as long as they change the filter while they're at it... But, if you don't feel comfortable installing it b/c you're worried it will get knocked off while driving over a big rock or something, then don't install it. They do offer extra protection with a retainer clip they sell for an extra buck for tractors since they go over a lot of brush, but the design looks study enough that it would probably fine w/o it.

I just got my truck and I've heard that most ppl have to remove the skid plate to prevent oil from getting on it. So I got one with the nipple to keep from having to do that.

Anyway, I just thought it would be a good deal for TW users so I posted it here. Especially after seeing the 10% discount that was posted a couple of days ago... it may not be around that long.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agapedisciple View Post
If someone would like to drain my oil, the drain plug bolt really isn't going to stop them. And I really wouldn't mind that much as long as they change the filter while they're at it... But, if you don't feel comfortable installing it b/c you're worried it will get knocked off while driving over a big rock or something, then don't install it. They do offer extra protection with a retainer clip they sell for an extra buck for tractors since they go over a lot of brush, but the design looks study enough that it would probably fine w/o it.

I just got my truck and I've heard that most ppl have to remove the skid plate to prevent oil from getting on it. So I got one with the nipple to keep from having to do that.

Anyway, I just thought it would be a good deal for TW users so I posted it here. Especially after seeing the 10% discount that was posted a couple of days ago... it may not be around that long.
I think it is a great little device. Thanks for posting this on here. I am sure that there are a number of member that would find this useful.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #7

I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the valve in and did my first oil change. The quality is great and even with the nipple addon, it doesn't run down lower than the skid plate. I picked up a hose from Advanced Auto Parts to drain the oil.

Before I did put on the valve, I didn't remove the skid plate and oil ran over it. I'm glad I picked up this valve because next time all I have to do is rotate the lever and drain the oil out of the hose.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
morcheez is on a distinguished road
morcheez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to morcheez
i bought one of these over a year ago and its still not on my truck
Old 11-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
flowedtacoma is on a distinguished road

flowedtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to flowedtacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by morcheez View Post
i bought one of these over a year ago and its still not on my truck
Because you're giving it to me.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
morcheez is on a distinguished road
morcheez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to morcheez
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowedtacoma View Post
Because you're giving it to me.
and how long have u been waiting haha
Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
What is the model number for our specifc Tacoma 2nd generation trucks?

Is it the F-103 Valve w/Nipple / F-103 Regular Valve ?

It does or it does not require any adaptor? I'm close to get one for my first oil change and I like to start the right way, synthetic oil and done by myself, to ensure quality.

Regards.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't need the adaptor as far as I know. Get the nippled version if you want to attatch a flexible hose to it and let it drain into your pan etc.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

Thanks, I placed the order and get two, one for the Tacoma and the other one for the Sienna, both with the nipple.

Regards.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I used to be quite a hoodlum back in the day. The oil plug was the first thing I always thought of to mess with. Good thing so many people keep putting them quick valves on their cars! yeah!! Seriously, you don't really believe that?

Quote:
It also doesn't sound like the thing to have on an off-road truck. I'd hate to have my oil accidentally drained out in the middle of nowhere.

[Clink, Clink] "Thank you for depositing two cents, you many now type":
As far as reliability, they have been using exclusively in aviation for decades.

And the aviation quick drain is a lot easier to open than the automotive one!
Secondly, if you hit something hard enough to shear it off, you have far worse problems to deal with. And likely a regular drain plug would be long gone in the same situation.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have one...but I haven't installed it yet. That's only because I bought it after my last oil change and I haven't done an oil change yet.

Patiently waiting to reach 4500miles and the weather to warm up!
Old 02-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #17
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that is slick, (no pun intended)
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed mine today - finally! I'll keep an eye on it over time. The next oil change I'm gonna remove it just to see how much oil is left in the pan. I was thinking about cutting the brass threads short - but thought I'd wait and see what happens next oil change (when I remove it).

Those of you who have this - does the oil gush out horizontally? or does it drop straight downward? What should I expect next time?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #19

Just a recommendation, if you have an air bed inflator handy you can use it as a flush device by placing it at the top where you pour the oil and have everything "closed", oil dip stick in place, oil filter in place and the Fumoto valve open, then pump air into the motor and cover the gap of the inflator with a clean cloth, that will help in the reduction of any oil left after normal gravity or you can expedite your oil change.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, the oil will flow straight down.