1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idle / stalling issue

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by leb, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma limited prerunner
    I HAVE 2013 TACOMA LIMITED IT IS EQUIPPED W THE BRAKE OVERRIDE SYSTEM. WHEN PRESSING BRAKE AND GAS AT SAME TIME THE ENGINE WILL RETURN TO IDLE. MY TRUCK WILL RETURN TO IDLE WHILE TAKING OFF WITH OUT TOUCHING THE BRAKE. IT DOESNT DO IT EVERY TIME BUT OFTEN. PULL OUT IN TRAFFIC AND IT WILL STALL. NO LIGHTS ON DASH OR CODES AT DEALER IN COMPUTOR. HAD 2012 PRERUNNER THAT DID SAME THING, FINALLY TRADED IT CAUSE DEALER COULD NOT REPAIR . I CANT BELIEAVE I HAVE BOUGHT TWO TACOMAS THAT HAVE SAME PROBLEM AND NO ONE AT DEALERSHIPS HAVE HEARD OF THIS ON OTHER TRUCKS...

2. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Hate to ask, but is it something you are doing, not the trucks?

3. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    the 2012 prerunner started stalling a few weeks after i purchased it. i did not do any work to any part of truck all orriginal. u could drive it for a month and it would be ok. then out of the blue during city driving stopping and starting, the engine would return to idle between 5 and 20 mph... i did not touch brake. i would have to let off accelerator for a second or so then press pedal and then it would act fine. took to dealer several times with no results. im not complaining about the way i was treated by service people its just the problem could not be found. so i told sales people what it was doing and traded it for a new 2013 tacoma prerunner limited.. i have had it about 4 months and now it has started same thing. i had the hope someone else had found the problem and could tell me what to tell the dealership what needed to be done to repair the vechicle..i have owned 5 tacoma s and 1 tundra in the last 23 years and never a problem w any of them..

4. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Never heard of this before. The fact that it keeps happening to you tells me you're doing something wrong while driving. Putting your foot on the gas and brake at the same time is clue number one. I've never had to do that in my truck, ever. Not even for a burnout.

5. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    then how do you get it to hold for a burnout??

6. Oct 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    i dont hold the brake and press the gas pedal.. the truck has a --bos-- brake override system,, installed from the factory. all new toyota have it in them now. i was just saying that is how it acts.

7. Oct 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Maybe your parking brake is engaged?

8. Oct 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Because I don't do burnouts. I'm not 17 anymore.

9. Oct 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Based on the difficult-to-read first post, it was tough to decipher whether you were actually pressing both pedals at the same time or not. Now that I've read it 5 times, I see that you were just describing that feature of your truck but not stating that you were actually pressing both pedals.

Being that you are NOT pressing both pedals at the same time, are you possibly driving with one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator but not releasing brake fast enough with your left foot as you are starting to depress the accelerator with your right foot? (or vice versa?)

If you only drive with your right foot for gas/brake, I'd say you have an issue. It's one I've never heard of and I've been involved with all models of Tacomas since 1995.5 when the first model came out and I owned one. I don't own the newest Tacoma so I can't vouch for this feature, but many of my friends and acquaintances who DO own one have never once mentioned this issue. Let alone having it happen a couple trucks in a row.

Be honest with yourself and think of ANYTHING POSSIBLE that you are doing different from the standard driving technique of right-foot-only driving. Do you have any mods, bypasses, replacement computers/chips, overrides on anything whatsoever in your truck? Aftermarket stereo stuff grounded in certain locations can cause electrical issues if grounded too close to certain components.

Think of ANYTHING out of the ordinary.

10. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate your attitude and thoughtful answer. sorry bout my description of how truck is acting.
    I understand what you are saying and have thought of the two foot driving.
    ill try to describe how it acts better this time.
    while taking off from a stop when truck reaches above 5 mph and below 20mph it will no longer pull and will return to idle speed. my foot has not been on brake since I gave it gas. I have not done any thing to either truck except taken them back to dealer for 5 thousand mile service. I haven't even taken the 2013 back for first oil change since it has only 4500 miles on it. no chips no tinkering no modifying in any way. I KNOW I KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS. IT HAS TO BE DRIVER ERROR. but I guarantee i'm not stepping on brake while i'm accelerating. it happen so often I had plenty of times to make sure where my feet were. im a Toyota person.love them. I would not have traded for another one almost like the 2012 if not.. i have appointments w two different dealerships tomorrow to try to find out the problem. your not alone, no one else has heard of this problem either, especially w same person and two trucks. I will guarantee you this ... if it turns out to be something im doing or not ill tell the truth. I may be embarrassed but ill tell the truth.

11. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    ahhhh iswydt

12. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    :devil: :humble:

13. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Hopefully someone can chime in who has experienced this problem as well. Hope you figure it out. That would drive me nuts.

14. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    Seabass

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Wait... so the guys at the dealership couldn't replicate it? Could you replicate it for them if you were driving and they rode along? How intermittent does it happen? Probably your only chance to get service on it is to replicate with them as a witness. Make that happen and they'll know how to troubleshoot from there.

15. Nov 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    I took truck to another dealer friday morning. They were very nice and put truck on computor and ran tests. They said no problem showed on their tests. They said if it would act up with their tec, it would help. I asked what would make it show up on the computer after their tec dorve it and not after i drove it,, they said well they couldnt just start changing parts.. Im not sure what is on truck that cuts off the gas while only the gas pedal is depressed but there is a signal going to computer on truck that is telling the engine to go to idle..... The brake switch and the accelerator pedal assm. together would cost me about 200 dollars. I thought about purchasing the parts and hope it would solve the problem. Instead i purchased another brand of truck. After six toyota trucks since 1990 i was hoping toyota would at least take a chance i had a real problem.. I guess after all the trouble w claims of toyota vechicles running away and not stopping they took the policy of trusting only what their computers tell them...

16. Nov 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    jjew18

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    So you traded it in? What did you get?

17. Nov 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Check the adjustment on the brake light switch.
    Make sure it is adjusted so you have to put a fair amount of pressure on the pedak to activate the brake lights. That is what the ECU uses to sense the gas and brake at the same time.

This problem has been reported a few times, and a couple have confirmed either a poorly adjusted switch, or a faulty switch.
    In some cases, the poster also reported the cruise control kicking out at random, which is another tipoff that it's a problem with the brake light circuit.

18. Nov 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    leb

leb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    louis
    Vehicle:
    i tried to get the dealership to change or adjust the switch.. i guess i should have did it myself.. like i said i have allways had good luck w toyota. anyway too late now.... i got a 2013 ford f150 lariat..first ford ive owned since 1989. i certainly wont down play the toyotas ive owned. very good trucks. i guess if you stay w the same kind long enough youll evently have some trouble. i wish i had looked at the adjustment of switch myself id still be driving it if that had fixed problem. i appreciate all the suggestions and ideas. i think all new trucks in any model now are good trucks. I just got impatient and dissapointed all dealer wanted to do was say we cant find any thing wrong. i told them i was gonna trade, i told them even when i did the truck was still under warranty they would see it again.. maybe they will read about the brake switch adjustment and save everyone some headaches..oooo i really like the ford...

Products Discussed in

To Top