Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Determined to get it right.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Terrain
beechairplanes is on a distinguished road
beechairplanes's Tacoma Gallery
Determined to get it right.

I got my truck back from the dealer the other day after having the tranny flushed and changing the frt & rear diff fluid. I also r & r the carrier bearing. All of this being done to fix and protect the tranny from what seems to be a periodic hard shift. The shifting issue has subsided a bit but it is still there, along with a new vibration which I can only assume is the driveline. (ie the carrier bearing) My question is this, do the 1/4 inch shims under the carrier bearing help w/ the vibration? Also, should I pull the tranny pan and clean the filter? Any other help would be great. sorry bout the novel.......
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Terrain
I have heard of that. What is it? How often?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, just one of many members here who have recently fallen in love with it. I'm not sure if it would be the best at adressing your issue, but it cleared up my already clear idle, and just made my engine run cleaner. It is a petroleum based engine cleaner (not sure if that is the best term) but it cleans the HELL out of your engine and pretty much anything else. You feed it into your break booster line and my truck smoked pure white for about 2-3 minutes. Might be worth a try, worst case is it cleans up your engine. I remember someone recconmending a product to clear up shifting so I will try and dig it up
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
how many miles on the tranny? Auto?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Terrain
121,000 miles on an automatic
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
If they flushed the tranny, they would have pulled the pan and replaced the filter. I worked at a sketchy tranny place and we would never not pull the pan and put a new filter in. I'm sure the dealer would have replaced it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
has the truck been beaten or towed alot? it may be something internal.

If you guys have a Cottman transmission place near you, they do a free tranny check and there pretty good guys.at least the one here is.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
well I can't for the life of me find that thread. Grrrrrrrr
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Terrain
I think I got a flush without pulling the tranny pan. Is that possible?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechairplanes View Post
The shifting issue has subsided a bit but it is still there, along with a new vibration which I can only assume is the driveline. (ie the carrier bearing) My question is this, do the 1/4 inch shims under the carrier bearing help w/ the vibration? Also, should I pull the tranny pan and clean the filter? Any other help would be great. sorry bout the novel.......
Did they check or have you checked your u-joints to make sure there are no problems with them. It might not hurt to pull the pan for piece of mind but you might not find much Toyota uses a wire mesh filter I don't normally see a large amount of debris in the filter at 120000 miles unless it has a failure.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Terrain
I bought the truck about a week ago and all was well. There is some slight body dings but overall the truck looked in good shape. It doesnt appear to have ever had a tow package installed. It did look as though someone put a ball hitch on the bumper mount at one time. That doesnt worry me all that much.

Here is another question. My rear differential rotates slightly when i try to move the truck while in park. The aft driveline has a slip joint of some sort that allows the driveline to stretch and contract. Is there a spec for how much movement is allowed?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Terrain
My u joints feel really good. The tech agreed. To try to explain my situ a little better, I also notice that when I come to a stop i feel a bump from the underside rear?? like something is sliding fwd. I have checked the spare tire mount and all is good> Any ideas?????
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
Axle Wrap? the axle shifting from drive positive to coast/decel position?