1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

impact wrench safety.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by travis.diller, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    travis.diller

travis.diller [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    All too often I see people using a impact wrench tightening down lug nuts. This is a very easy way to break or at least weaken your wheel studs. You should ALWAYS use a torque wrench. You can even break them by hand. The FSM for my Tacoma specifies 85ft lbs on lugs. It is possible to turn them a lot more than that but the Toyota gods say 85. As a rule of thumb I only use my impact wrench to loosen stubborn nuts and bolts. You can use it to turn things up until it stops free spinning, when it makes its first "impact" it means its time to get out the torque wrench. It seems humorous to me that the gods have torque specs for everything, but they do. I have a fairly inexpensive torque wrench ($90) they are not cheap and you get what you pay for. I got the half inch drive so I can always step down. There are three types, dial indicator (used for precise measurement, I use them on submarines, we don't want anything breaking down there.), mechanical indicator (dumbed down not very accurate) and snap type(set the desired torque and turn til it snaps) this is the type I have. So do yourself and your truck a favor and invest in one! Also, no lateral extensions allowed (cheater bars, pipes) you can only extend straight down from the drive portion without using one of these equations to correct your torque.
    http://www.motorcraftservice.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp
    Good luck and happy wrenching!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Nov 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Great info!

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can also use a *Torque Stick* with your impact gun to tighten lugs.

A torque stick will never be accurate, like a torque wrench..... it can allow you to get 'close' to the recommended torque value and still use your impact gun.

I always torque my lugs on all vehicles @ 100ft lbs. I have a 100ft lb torque stick that I use on the impact gun when tightening. When I'm all done...and the vehicle is on the ground, I'll go over the lug nuts with a torque wrench set to 100ft lbs.

Torque sticks come in a variety of values...and can be purchased in sets.

I only own 1 of them....

4. Nov 15, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    I took my wife's daily driver prius to have the oil changed and tires rotated. They over-tightened the lug nuts so bad that on several the threads were stretched. I found this out when I decided to do the oil changes and tire rotations myself - it took a hell of a lot of effort with a breaker bar to loosen them. In fact, one broke and had to take it to a shop to get the damn thing replaced. They ended up replacing several due to stretched threads. That was some shit - and they were supposedly as well-known shop...

I always use a torque wrench on my Tacoma and our Tahoe. This won't ever happen again!

5. Nov 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Up in Canada , tire shops are mandated to use a torque wrench during wheel install .
    Just had winter tires installed and they want me back there in a week for a re-torque .

6. Nov 15, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Snug them with the impact, torque them with the torque wrench. Especially important on aluminum wheels. If one nut is tighter than the rest, they will all work loose.

7. Nov 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Good advice there. Several threads have discussed this. However your information on a "cheater pipe" is not 100%. You do not affect the torque applied to a bolt/nut if the cheater pipe is installed on the shaft of the torque wrench where you grip it. This has been discussed and brought up with snap-on tools, and they have verified this. Where you DO affect torque is if you add anything to the socket end of the torque wrench that changes the distance between the socket mounting location, and the bolt itself. THEN you have to make the appropriate calculations. Using a cheater pipe to help you apply force on the handle end doesn't change anything. All that does is reduces the required amount of input from the user. This is of course proven when you think about it, a really strong man can apply more force to the handle than a weaker man. You STILL have to pull enough on the handle to reach the correct setting on the torque wrench. Of course Snap-on does say NOT to use a cheater pipe, but their indicated reasoning for this is to protect the operator from injury if the pipe slips. Pretty much all tool companies have rules regarding alteration to the use.

I do agree that a torque wrench is the proper tool for lug nuts. It is very easy to over-torque. I do use the torque sticks as previously mentioned, and have never had an issue with over tightened or broken lugs.

8. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    MadMedic35

MadMedic35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sandhills, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT DCSB
    Fox 2.5 coilover, TC UCA, FOX 2.5 res rear shock, OME leaf pack, SCS Ray-10 gold, Nitto Ridge Grappler, SoftTopper. On order: Relentless Fab Summit Bumper, HC rear bumper with tire carrier, sPOD, Powertray,
    No shit there I was... Put my wheels back on with my impact gun after installing new UCA's/Coil overs and, even though I used my torque wrench to tighten up the new components, I impact gunned my lugs on. Fast Forward 1 week and a trip from NC to MD and back and I have 4 studs break today driving on base. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

9. Dec 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    My impact wrench has a torque adjuster knob next to the intlet. you can also adjust the PSI's at your compressor with the limiter, mine is at 90psi. is more than enough for most of all my applications. We have gone thru 14 vehicles my wife and I combined, and have always use impact wrench for tire lugs. I have never had a tire flew out on the highway or any broken lugs.

10. Dec 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make it safe.

Impacts aren't recommended for lug nuts because they are more likely to severely over tighten... Saving that little bit of time could be far more expensive/time consuming than just using the correct tool.

Products Discussed in

To Top