1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IFS ARB Leak Weak Copper Lines

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by VanCity4x, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Had a Front ARB locker and gears professionally installed about 4 months ago. After first using it I noticed a gear oil smell. After testing and using for a while I realized the diff was puking oil out the breather tube when engaged. I ran a bigger breather line and tested it and had a large amount of air leak when engaged.

So the shop just took it apart and found it was the copper line leaking (out of the seal housing), there is a slight break near the top around one of the bends. The shop told me they had to bend the line in order for it to fit and lead out of the housing. They are a supplier of ARB products and talked them but ARB has no knowledge of these problems. The copper line is very weak and can easily break when bent, but has to be bent to fit out the housing.

Because I bought the ARB on sale and gave them the parts to install they cant warranty the parts, cutting me a deal for the re/re and I also have to cover the replacement line/seal, about $120.

Ive heard of other guys with leaks out of that copper tubing. Has anybody else had problems? Im def going to bring this up with ARB and try to get at least the part cost reimbursed.

I will post more info and pictures when I get back on Friday.

The point up for discussion is does ARB have a problem with weak copper lines breaking when fit for install?

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have installed several ARBs, and in Tacoma's as well. Never had any issues with oil leaking, or a broken copper line. You have to take the time, and the care, to bend this line so that it doesn't cause any issues. The Tacoma front diff is one of the EASIEST front diffs to get the copper line properly bent and installed. Personally I would be telling the installer that if it has only been 4 months since they installed it, they should take care of it. Workmanship issue there. I am thinking the installer probably got into a hurry and didn't use the correct bending tool, or kinked it and hoped that it would not break. Pictures of the line would be nice.

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Cool, thanks man. Ya it doesn't make sence that it would have to be bent very much after I read the install manual. I'm very interested to see what the line looks like on Friday.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey OP...just had my 4.56 gears and front ARB installed. Can I ask who did your install? Also, how did you break in your front gears? Cheers

5. Nov 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
  6. Nov 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    VanCity4x

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Nice theres afew of us now. I see you in surrey every so often :cool:

Gears and rears in port Kells did the install. Drove it regularly for 500 miles and took it on a couple light offroad trips and then changed the diff fluid, running Lucas synth in the diffs.

Xfer case was really loud so changed fluid to redline heavy shockproof, made a huge difference. Ill use the redline synth for the next diff change.

So with the air line, it fractured right at the connection to the seal. They broke it taking it apart cause its pretty tight in there but the line had a tiny fracture in it where it is broken either from install or factory. They were very confident it was from factory. If you engage your air locker and you have air leaking or gear oil puking from the breather it is most likley the line is fractured like mine was. It's not common but it still does happen and just proves that any parts you buy no matter how good, isnt guaranteed to work perfect.

I ended up paying for the part and some labour cause they didn't install the diff the first time but they did this time. Because I gave them the air locker to install, they didn't supply it, they couldn't cover the part which I understand. They did cover the large, rush freight charge, materials and all the labour fixing it. Its all good tho cause it works perfect now

95c63cb586a076f41386f4c2a088517e_zps0ade_5761a233caa7b2dc72ed6c7fa77501d744c5323b.jpg

093f7cfc87dc1ec50bda80a5ae6e233d_zps5d56_027439a04b0dec8fd7475d51c2aba2220fdf7106.jpg

5489286ed9a5b03e681c0e88f655013a_zpsfb4a_54667a75a8c6a560b71ee717b1ad202ca4a5d710.jpg

7. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    You don't have to break in your front gears seeing as how they are not used typically at high speed and only while engaged in 4x4. If you are really concerned about it just take a 1/2hr break after every hour of wheeling so the diff and gears can cool down. The rear is an different story though. That break in process is a pain in the butt.

OP
    As for the weak copper line goes, I think that really comes down to installation. One kink or over bend will compromise the line. As far as the gear oil belching out.....that doesn't sound normal. Possibly overfilled?

8. Dec 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    BINGO!

Ive had mine for over a year now and never had any issues, use it regularly.

Products Discussed in

To Top