1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warped break drums help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JIB83, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    JIB83

JIB83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Perris, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab 4x4
    When I brake on my 02 4x4 I feel a slight stopping and going feeling when I am almost at a complete stop under 5mph. I think its my rear break drums that might be warped. I am pretty sure its not the front because I just did new rotors and pads about a month ago and also my steering wheel doesn't shake at all when im breaking.

Now my question is, do I have to do a complete break job in the rear or can I just swap out the drums? I pulled the drums off a couple days ago and the brake shoes look almost new still.

What do you guys suggest? I want to just change out the drums tonight since I am leaving for Mojave tomorrow early morning and I don't think I will have time to do a full brake job. I already have the drums and shoes though, could I do the drums before the trip and once I get back do the shoes?

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I don't think its your drums.

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    I doubt it is either. Did you have your rotors turned when put new pads on. There could be pad transfer on the rotors and that is enough to make it feel like it is grabbing and then letting loose. The rotors should be turned or replaced and pads broken in properly. I say deal with it till you get back and have time to do it all right. Return drums and get money back. Be sure and use your parking brake also since your rear brakes are self adjusting. Good luck

4. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    JIB83

Member:
    Perris, CA
    Vehicle:
    They were new rotors and pads in the front.

Also, when I lift up the rear tires and I spin the wheel, I can hear that the brakes rub for about 60degrees of the full 360degees. So for one full rotation, I can hear the shoes rub on the drum for a little less than a 1/4 turn then nothing for the remaining.

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    The drums can be turned also. But if new pads and rotors are not properly burnished and even pad tranfer laid then they can still be your problem also.

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    JIB83

Member:
    Perris, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wouldn't that cause my steering wheel to shake though?

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    if your previous front rotors were warped, and warped for a period of time before replacing them, the warping action can slowly make the rear drums get slightly 'out of round', causing exactly what you are describing...been there, had it happen...the warping causes pressure oscillation's all through the brakes pressure lines and affects the drums over time..

New drums will help, if you have the time, just take the drums off, have them turned/trued quickly and slam them back on, you really should replace the pads too since the originals could be glazed by now, even if they look like they have a lot of pad left, that can wait until you finish playing...

Cheapest/quickest way is to have them turned, go play, when you come back replace the rear shoes and install the new drums ASAP...

My advise is to do the whole thing, you should be able to do this before you leave in the morning, pull an all nighter, then go play...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Nov 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    00PreRunner

00PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4
    2005 DCSB, 4x4, Auto. more to come...
    I have the same problem in my tacoma. At least one rotor is warped and has lead to warped drums. Both are easy to replace, which is what I would recommend.

9. Nov 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Try adjusting the rear brakes following FSM steps (also included in Haynes manual) .There are 3 items that need to be adjusted for the rears to work properly. No cost, just time. Do that before throwing new, un-needed parts at it.

First there is the star wheel adjustment, maybe one is too tight and needs to be backed off.

There is an adjustment to the e-brake bell-crank (at the end of the e-brake cable outside of the backing plate).

Then the e-brake 'click count adjustment' (adjustment nuts are under the driver-side of the body).

Products Discussed in

To Top