Notices

question about keys

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
RobbySkateboard is on a distinguished road
Name: Robby
RobbySkateboard's Tacoma Gallery
question about keys

When I bought my truck (like 18 months ago) the guy only had one key, and I haven't bothered to get it copied yet, but I think I'm going to finally do that before I lose it, but I was kind of curious about the keys and making it thinner. I don't know much about how the car keys work because they have a chip in them or something right? is the chip in (2005 2nd gen if they're different) the black plastic part or is it something so small that it's actually on the key part? I assume I'll have to either go to toyota to get a blank (or find one online like this http://www.amazon.com/TRANSPONDER-MU.../dp/B008AOPJF4 ?) but would it be possible to cut the bulky plastic piece off and attach it to something else? The reason I ask is because I'd really like to be able to attach it to a flip key fob (like this http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Folding-B.../dp/B005KQ5HS4) and just take the circuitry out of my existing fob and place is in that one and reroute/solder those buttons. I've had this idea since I bought the truck but haven't done it yet but a new project on kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-keys?ref=live) had my thinking I could do that and make it the outside piece and then just attach my work keys, a thin flashdrive (maybe even just an SD card since they're so thin) and a few other things from a multitool to make the ultimate key fob. But the main question is, could I cut off the key at the base of the plastic and attach it to a flip key fob? or would I need to buy a flip key fob specifically for the tacoma?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Andy Standard is on a distinguished road
Andy Standard's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also interested in seeing if there's a way we can change our keys and remote to a single key fob. I'm subbed to another thread about it, but there hasn't been any new info on it.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a chip in my 07 base model 4 banger so I just went to ace hardware and got one cut.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
RobbySkateboard is on a distinguished road
Name: Robby
RobbySkateboard's Tacoma Gallery
I found out that it was an option, and that if it is electronic, the piece is inter plastic but easily moved onto something else/doesn't have to be attached

Products Discussed in this Thread