Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, good vehicle specific info. In the past for hard to get to plugs I attach a few of inches of a vacuum line to the end of the plug and use it to help start the threads of the plug. The vacuum line gives me a better feel, compaired to starting it with the socket & extention, to prevent crossthreading Once the threads are started, pull the hose and it popps off the plug for the final tightening.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #42
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
Thanks, good vehicle specific info. In the past for hard to get to plugs I attach a few of inches of a vacuum line to the end of the plug and use it to help start the threads of the plug. The vacuum line gives me a better feel, compaired to starting it with the socket & extention, to prevent crossthreading Once the threads are started, pull the hose and it popps off the plug for the final tightening.
I have heard a few people do it this way. Personally, I have more feel with the extensions and plug socket.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up Chris. I'll sure to revisit this in about a year when I'm ready to swap my plugs out.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #44
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
great write-up buddy.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #45
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
Thanks for the write up Chris. I'll sure to revisit this in about a year when I'm ready to swap my plugs out.
Yw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
great write-up buddy.
Thanks, Man.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #46
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up....I'm only at 20k now, I'm wondering how much does the dealer or a shop charge to change out the plugs? I'm sure it is a lot considering you say 2 hours. I'll have to get my bf to help me with this one.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #48
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have heard a few people do it this way. Personally, I have more feel with the extensions and plug socket.
Cool. Thanks agian for the write up.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #49
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
good job chris! always a very informing person
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
Cool. Thanks agian for the write up.
Yw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
good job chris! always a very informing person
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTycoon View Post
awesome write up bud!
Thanks, You guys!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #53
the foreigner
06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold

06tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
great write up, thanks man!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #54
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
good information thaks for the pictures.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #55
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
for the passager site ussing platinium and for the engine site ussing iridium for the temperature coul be?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiko View Post
for the passager site ussing platinium and for the engine site ussing iridium for the temperature coul be?
Its best to use the OEM copper/nickel plugs. There is no gain to be had useing the iridium or platinum plugs on the 1GR-FE V6.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #57
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. This is my next task. Subscribed for later.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #58
zigy is on a distinguished road
zigy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboytacoma24 View Post
Nice write up. This is my next task. Subscribed for later.
Thanks Chris,....Your the real deal.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #59
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
did mine last night. the old plugs where the right color but the gap was approaching .055 on every plug. It was alot easier having the TRD intake, nothing to remove on the passenger side.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
did mine last night. the old plugs where the right color but the gap was approaching .055 on every plug. It was alot easier having the TRD intake, nothing to remove on the passenger side.
Thats right near the max that the plug will even fire....how many miles??

Products Discussed in this Thread