1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Use a plug gap gauge, and bend the electrode out just a bit, then insert the gauge, and bend in until snug against the correct size gap gauge. Hope that makes sense :eek:

2. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
  3. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    waheed

waheed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Waheed
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    Banks power Exhaust, 4x4 LED mod, Duratracs, SNUGTOP, LED insideNout

I'm sticking to the good ol' Original Gangstas :D

4. Jan 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    4Paws

4Paws Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '04 PreRunner
    Hey Chris,

(1st post btw) enjoyed your very thorough description. I'm about to do my plugs so I may do something similar since mine is an '04. You wouldn't have any idea what the gap for those plugs should be would you?

I bought a new set of Densos from Toyota and the guy said they should be good to go. I checked one and it was about .033. They are dual electrode.

Thanks,

Scott

5. Jan 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    snappa

snappa Snappa

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner Access Cab
    Chris,

As I said before, props to you for this step by step. Could not have been more clear nor would I have successfully completed the task or even attempted without your instructions.

My question, as indicated in the title line, has to do with the use of anti-sieze on the plug threads. To the best of your knowledge, does Toyota or Denso or NGK specifically state that anti-sieze should be used, or not used, for this application?

I am not questioning the efficacy of the use, or not, of anti-sieze. I have not been able to find this mentioned in the limited Toyota literature I possess.

Thanks in advance.

paul
    aka Snappa

6. Jan 25, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Toyota does not say specifically to use anti seize on the spark plugs. However a friend of mine who was a lead mechanic at Toyota, eventually moved up to head mechanic told me that it's a good practice in his eyes to use anti seize when installing spark plugs into aluminum heads.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  7. Jan 25, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The correct gap is 0.0394 to 0.0433 in

8. Jan 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    4Paws

4Paws Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '04 PreRunner
    Hey Chris, thanks for the info. Do you mind telling me what your source is for that?

9. Jan 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    The FSM.

10. Jan 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    snappa

snappa Snappa

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner Access Cab

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I also ride a Honda GL1800 m/c. Among others, a particular NGK spark plug is recommended. The spark plug number has a suffix or prefix, which I cannot recall at this time, indicating an anti-seize compound of some type has been applied at the factory to this particular plug. Additional anti-seize is not recommended.

ride safe

paul
    aka snappa

Chris,

Let me stand corrected on the foregoing. NGK specifically recommends that anti-seize not be applied on plugs with a metal shell plating such as zinc or nickel, on the threads:

"Applying anti-seize to the threads of spark plugs that have a metal plating allows the installer to mistakenly over-tighten the spark plug in the cylinder head; This stretches and fatigues the threads of the spark plugs, causing a much higher probability that the plug will break during installation or in some cases upon removal." Additional info:

http://ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-0630111antisieze.pdf

However, given the foregoing, each do what they feel is best.

As always,

ride safe

paul
    aka snappa

11. Jan 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    It's interesting to note that both NGK and Denso both do not recommend using anti-sieze compound due to over-torquing problems.

Also NGK recommends 18-21.6 lb-ft where Denso recommends 14.75-22 lb-ft of torque.

I'm curious where the 15 lb-ft value came from in this thread (probably the FSM).

So I'm curious if we really should be using anti-seize compound on the plugs. Prior to buying a torque wrench I always seated the plug by hand and then used a socket wrench to crush the washer and slightly more until it was a good snug fit. I learned that from my daddy. Plugs without washers were different and those were hand tight + slightly more until it firmly stopped. It's hard to describe it, that is why a torque wrench comes in handy.

12. Jan 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Sgtfluffy16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    20% tint, HID headlights/ yellow fog light bulbs and LED lights interior/exterior lights. 4.5 Inch RCD lift, 1 Piece custom driveshaft, AEM intake, Dynomax Exhaust, Amp research Moto-bed extender, Extang Express tonno.
    I have always used White Lithium Grease on my threads... Just did my plugs in about an hour.. Pics to follow soon. and WOW! do I have news!

13. Jan 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:
    20% tint, HID headlights/ yellow fog light bulbs and LED lights interior/exterior lights. 4.5 Inch RCD lift, 1 Piece custom driveshaft, AEM intake, Dynomax Exhaust, Amp research Moto-bed extender, Extang Express tonno.
    So after I found out we should change out our plugs every 30k I started doing research and found that NGK V-Power's are the most reccomend I bought a set and just did them about 2 hours ago. my truck has 82K on it and here to find......... I .... STILL..... HAVE.... THE..... ORIGINAL.... PLUGS.... INSTALLED!! Great!.. This is prolly why I could only get 17MPG max when I bought it 2 years ago when it was bone stock and had 67K on it. I put an intake on it hoping it would help fuel mileage and it didn't ( BTW the intake make its much easier to plugs ;)) Then I did the lift which I knew would hurt the fuel mileage but wait til you see what the plugs gap is when I took them out. So new plugs are in and Here's for new and improved fuel mileage I hope. (PS. I also noticed the Denso Plugs were harder/ required more force to thread out of the heads then the NGK's which came out quite easy)

Easier install with an intake [​IMG]

Just loosen the clamps there and you can get to the front plug [​IMG]

82K on the denso plug (its a "little" out of spec) [​IMG]

The NGK's with 82K on them

[​IMG]

All 6 plugs.. NGK's were on drivers side Denso on Passenger side [​IMG]

14. Jan 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    White Lithium grease for the threads? Isn't that the wrong product? Typically anti-seize is not lithium based for high heat applications. It's more of a selection of powered metals mixed into a paste. And these there is dielectric grease for the spark plug wires if you ant them to pull off easy in a few years.

15. Jan 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Sgtfluffy16

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    PA
    Vehicle:

Its what I have ALWAYS used on plugs and I have had quite a few fixer uppers and never have I ever had issues removing plugs after 5 years after I did plugs with White Lithium

16. Jan 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Although they dont recomend the anti sieze on their sites, I have always been told its good to use it on aluminum heads. I asked my friend about the 15# listed in the FSM, and he said thats for use with the anti sieze, as the torque value is lower when using it. Higher (20# or so) without it. Havent had an issue with anti sieze on a plug in around 25 plug changes on vehicles.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  17. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I really would prefer to use anti-seize compound too so thanks for the feedback about the torque spec. In the old days I always used it but we didn't have fancy coatings on the plugs and aluminum heads were for people who had money to burn, which wasn't my family :(

18. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    After my first siezed plug in an aluminum head, which ended up stripping all the threads in it, having to remove the head, drill, insert new threads (metal sleave threaded), I wont ever NOT use anti sieze again.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  19. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Oh how I love helicoils ! I use them in my line of work whenever someone screws (pun intended) up, never had to use them on an engine. I've seen some monster sized helicoils when I was on the submarine, thankfully I didn't have to to drill, tap, and insert those monsters. The small ones are fine unless it's some heavy duty steel (normally was) and then the easy-outs were never that easy to make work. Try an easy-out on a stainless steel 4-40 screw, no fun drilling it out. Sorry for the ranting on an on.

20. Jan 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I had to use a timesert on the head. Not sure a helicoil would have worked given the temp fluctuation of the head. Then again.....if the helicoils worked on subs, who knows. The last helicoil I used was on the engine block of my buddies Duccati. When changing the cam belt, he didnt want to use a torque wrench, and blew thru the threads on 4 holes. SO.....he got to see how a helicoil works. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top