Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1061
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
This write up was excellent. I ended up disconnecting a couple extra hoses on the driver side just to save my knuckles. It took a little under 2 hours and that was with my neighbor coming over to BS while I was working on it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #1062
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Did the plugs again today, took a little over an hour. Plugs had 29K on them, 1K early but I had some spare time today...and not much in the near future.

They looked pretty decent to me, some of them had a little bit of build up around the crush gasket though, and most of them had fairly oily threads. Engine almost to 100K

Do they look decent to everyone else? How about the oil on the plugs...normal?

Thanks again for this excellent write up Chris4x4. Have fun with the new Jeep!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1065
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
so is using ngk platinum plugs not a good idea??
in the 2.7 its fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #1066
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet cuz I didjt want to buy the denso's after already having purchased these super duper special plugs ha ha. But after some of your other threads on maintenance ive put more belief in toyotas oen stuff like the filters. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #1067
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
just did my first plug change (currently have 33K on the truck). I think the plugs look good. do you agree? Also, should I be concerned about the dark color on the threads? What is this? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)-photo-5.jpg   How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)-photo-12.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #1068
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
just did my first plug change (currently have 33K on the truck). I think the plugs look good. do you agree? Also, should I be concerned about the dark color on the threads? What is this? Thanks.

I think your plugs look ready to be replaced.

Jim
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1069
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimROCDS View Post
I think your plugs look ready to be replaced.

Jim
i disagree and think they look pretty decent. Not sure what you are looking at.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1071
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Hard to tell gaps from a photo, but they are on mileage to be changed.
That been said - Don't see any issues with those plugs from those photos...
if i had to guess, i bet those gaps are wide. they look pretty good besides that.

seems the gap is wider than that electrode probe thing.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
if i had to guess, i bet those gaps are wide. they look pretty good besides that.

The gaps did open a bit .. they were all between .046 and .052 with the NGK's being worse than the Denso
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #1074
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
The gaps did open a bit .. they were all between .046 and .052 with the NGK's being worse than the Denso
Quote:

Really? You 'saw' a gap increase of 0.020" with your bare eyes from a small photograph?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #1075
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I used the word "guess". Read much?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1076
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used the word "guess". Read much?
Apparently not as much as you guess at things unable to be seen by the human eye. Way to 'guess' at something that happens with all used plugs by the end of their service life captain obvious. Don't get snarky with me when you're the one making useless posts based off of absolutely nothing you gained from looking at the picture to try to make yourself look cool. What's next? Someone posts a picture of their used motor oil and you 'guess' that there's microscopic metal particulate suspended in that oil? What else can you share with us Nostradamus?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #1079
Haha. I was trying to joke.sorry if I got under your skin. This is the Internet. (I still don't see where I said I saw the gaps being wide. )
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #1080
tburd83 is on a distinguished road
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Great Write Up! Thanks. I was able to do it in a little less than 2 hours. I'm pretty competent and able but I do get paranoid a little. That's my baby. I was wonder, how long would it take to realize if I did something wrong, ie, cross thread the plugs, etc.... It fired right up and sounded great. I just don't want something to come along later and bite me in the butt. I figure if it started and ran then it's all good. Thanks again

Products Discussed in this Thread