Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #1081
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
i disagree and think they look pretty decent. Not sure what you are looking at.

So why'd you bother to ask what we thought?

Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1082
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine, the write up definitely helped. What is really scary is I had the Denso in 2-4-6 and the NGK in 1-3-5. The gaps in the old plugs were:
1 - .58 2 - .50
3 - .58 4 - .50
5 - .57 6 - .52
Was getting 20.5 avg mpg, so it will be interesting to see if it gets better.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #1083
Scamilton is on a distinguished road
Army: I plug bleeding holes
Name: Soldier
Scamilton's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed mine out today...

Assumed that Car Max had changed them out before I bought it from them since it was sitting at 32k when I got her. Well, you know what they say about assuming. F*ckers had never been changed and I'm sitting at 67k miles as of the swap.

All of the gaps were right around .6 and I felt an immediate difference after changing them out. Gonna have to hit the wife's 4runner soon as I get a training holiday. Got hers from Car Max as well (different location) and the mileage was about the same when purchased.

Great write up. Helped me save a lot of (fiddle f*ckin') time.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #1084
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
After 1500 straight highway miles, I was beginning to think my gaps were off a little after my recent plug change due to my mpg only being 19 highway (normally average 21)...my wife and I were sharing the driving and I woke up from a power-nap and figured out what the issue was...her lead foot and driving 85mph
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1085
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the how to Chris4X4! I did mine last month, using your guide. My 2005 only has about 27500, but it's been 8 years (Yeah, I only use my truck for trails and running errands). They were nice and hard to break loose, the gaps weren't off at all, but the electrodes were def. browned.

While I was doing it, I also cleaned the MAF, the TB and my TRD air filter. AND flushed the brake fluid too! TB was really black and it took a half tank before the computer relearned everything. First tank of gas after all that was like 10 mpg, but now I'm back up to 16 (city driving).
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #1086
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
114,300 miles on mine and just changed for the first time. The gaps on the old ones were between .068 and .073. I gapped the new ones at .042. It feels smoother and quieter, but maybe it's just me
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1087
jhunter73 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
jhunter73's Tacoma Gallery
Starting problems with starter- flywheel

My sons truck is a 2002 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner, he stuck it in a water- mud hole and drowned it out, after pulling out it wouldn't crank. His friends told him the starter was bad, after I went and got the truck I pulled the starter off and had it checked and it's fine, but after putting it back on it still does the same thing, makes a loud clank at the starter and flywheel, almost sounds like the flywheel is locked. the oil looks good, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #1088
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter73 View Post
My sons truck is a 2002 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner, he stuck it in a water- mud hole and drowned it out, after pulling out it wouldn't crank. His friends told him the starter was bad, after I went and got the truck I pulled the starter off and had it checked and it's fine, but after putting it back on it still does the same thing, makes a loud clank at the starter and flywheel, almost sounds like the flywheel is locked. the oil looks good, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance...
Did he make sure that the cylinders were dry before he tried to start it up??
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #1090
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
Changing the plugs because of the gap going out of spec is good, but better than that is, making it easier to take the plugs out when you do change them.

Taking factory installed plugs after 100,000 miles could present a problem I would never want to deal with.

Jim
Old 05-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #1091
grenneam is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Cryptographic Repair
Name: Jerry
grenneam's Tacoma Gallery
Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Thanks for the how to Chris4X4! I did mine last month, using your guide. My 2005 only has about 27500, but it's been 8 years (Yeah, I only use my truck for trails and running errands). They were nice and hard to break loose, the gaps weren't off at all, but the electrodes were def. browned.

While I was doing it, I also cleaned the MAF, the TB and my TRD air filter. AND flushed the brake fluid too! TB was really black and it took a half tank before the computer relearned everything. First tank of gas after all that was like 10 mpg, but now I'm back up to 16 (city driving).
I'm sorry but my brain is not processing "TB". All I can come up with is Turbo. Is that what you are talking about? Just wondering if there's something on my 2006 to which I haven't paid proper attention. I don't have a Turbo on it...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #1092
Don't cremate me. I want to come back as a zombie.
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenneam View Post
I'm sorry but my brain is not processing "TB". All I can come up with is Turbo. Is that what you are talking about? Just wondering if there's something on my 2006 to which I haven't paid proper attention. I don't have a Turbo on it...
throttle body
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #1093
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
throttle body
^^^^This^^^^

If you've never cleaned yours, you'll be surprised what kind of crap is on there. I took mine off the housing, but left the hoses still hooked up, then sprayed the shit out of it with cleaner and used a ton of Q-Tips. If you do it at the same time you do the plugs, it's easier since you have the air intake mostly out of the way.

Here you go my man....
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...g-2005-v6.html
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #1094
RustyTank is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Rich
RustyTank's Tacoma Gallery
64,000 miles - recently bought the truck... replaced as per your guide... SWEET - great easy procedure... just over 1 hour, start to finish... initial test drive seems much smoother running both at idle and at speed.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sbehaving.html
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #1095
Krusey1011 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Ordnance
Name: Kyle
Krusey1011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachito View Post
114,300 miles on mine and just changed for the first time. The gaps on the old ones were between .068 and .073. I gapped the new ones at .042. It feels smoother and quieter, but maybe it's just me
I'm at 76,000 miles and I've had the plugs sitting in my garage for so long. I'm going to finally change mine now too. I've always wondered what would happen to the truck if they never got changed. I figured it'd just start running poorly. I hope I can get a noticable change in performance.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #1096
grenneam is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Cryptographic Repair
Name: Jerry
grenneam's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Why I love this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
^^^^This^^^^

If you've never cleaned yours, you'll be surprised what kind of crap is on there. I took mine off the housing, but left the hoses still hooked up, then sprayed the shit out of it with cleaner and used a ton of Q-Tips. If you do it at the same time you do the plugs, it's easier since you have the air intake mostly out of the way.

Here you go my man....
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...g-2005-v6.html
AHHHH! Pictures, Pictures, Pictures, I love em! Really helps stoopid people like me in figuring out what's being discussed! Thanks for the reply and the great "reference" (link). Also a big thanks to GenXer36 for the excellent tutorial!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer75 View Post
Great post I was wondering if this was difficult. The stealership wanted $110.00 to change my plugs. They told me the last 2 plugs were hard to get to.
Just make sure you have a 15" extension or two extensions that you can double up. On driver's side bank, the front and rear are a bitch, but not impossible. Take your time, or if you have elf sized hands you should be GTG.

Passenger side bank is a breeze.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #1100
Krusey1011 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Ordnance
Name: Kyle
Krusey1011's Tacoma Gallery
I finally replaced mine today at 76,000. The measurements of the worn plugs from back to front:
Passenger side
.055, .066, .054

Driver side
.071, .071, .071

Pretty worn out. I hope I get some better fuel mileage. Thanks Chris!

Products Discussed in this Thread