Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Spark Plug Change (1 GR-FE)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1181
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
Second time using this how to as a reference. Much easier this time.
Thanks Chris4X4
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #1182
RyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really nice

Name: Ryan
RyanK1's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! Did mine this weekend. One word of advice, make sure not to over tighten the bolts holding the coil packs in. I made this mistake and had the bolt break off inside on the drivers side. So a fairly simple job turned into a slightly larger one. Had to remove the intake assembly to get the right angle to drill the bolt and extract it. 2 hour job turned into almost 5.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #1183
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got around to doing this; not a difficult job at all. Excellent write-up Chris!
One tip that I found ... on the driver's side, I used the long needle-nosed pliers as suggested, however with my left hand, squeezed the connector clip with the pliers, and pushed the connector off with my right hand. I was being careful not to damage the clip. Once off, the plugs were easy to get to. Socket extensions are a must! I started the truck in between sides to verify no problems halfway through.
My old plugs (Denso & NGK) looked normal, but with gaps ranging from .047 - .053.
The truck runs much smoother now.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #1184
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished and it was time! Just got a new to me 2006 with 98, 000. Following this thread made it super easy!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #1185
Viridian is on a distinguished road
Viridian's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the instructions! Just finished changing my plugs a few minutes ago and had no problems. The dealer wanted $275 to change them and I just laughed. Even dropping $70 on a torque wrench (I know I could have just winged it, but I've been looking for an excuse to buy one anyway) I came out way ahead.

The dealer also wanted $75 to change the cabin air filter. $6 on amazon.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #1186
Randy0223 is on a distinguished road
Randy0223's Tacoma Gallery
Adding my thanks to Chris4x4 as well. Just finished changing plugs on my 2009 PreRunner (31,000 miles, mostly 25-mile plus trips, no off-road, no towing). Would have figured this out but this write up made clear what needed to be removed to gain access. And just as important, what wasn't needed for access.

A few additions:

1) The front driver's side electrical clip can be easily removed with the use of two long screwdrivers. Use one to hold down the release and the other to pry the clip. Make sure the release is fully engaged so as not to break anything.

2) The specified gap for new plugs is 0.039-to-0.043. I measured the removed plugs and they were consistently gaped at 0.045. Truck was running fine prior to changing with no noticeable change in performance with the new plugs. Still, peace-of-mind is worth the minor expense and 2-hours of time. Assuming equivalent driving/trips, I plan the next plug change will be after adding ~50,000 miles. Still don't understand why Toyota doesn't recommend the use of iridium plugs. Even more confused by the factory installed Denso brand plugs on the passenger side and the NGK on the driver side. What's with that???

Finally, I noticed the previous poster was quoted $275 by his dealer. Yikes - $275 is a bit much for a job that is really quite simple. My Minneapolis dealer quoted $175 which seems a fair price.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #1187
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plug Indexing?

Has anyone looked into the difference between the reason for NGK on one side and Denso's on the other? I was thinking maybe it has to do with indexing of the ground electrode. I plan to mark the plugs before I remove them to see if it is indexing.

The steps will be:
1) Using a sharpie mark all the plugs, preferably the upper part.
2) Remove the plugs.
3) Compare the plugs to see if the ground electrodes are pointing in the same general direction. If they are all over the place, well indexing isn't being used.
4) If the electrode grounds are roughly 180 degrees out between the two plug types then it looks like indexing is the reason for the different plug types. I would also install one plug from the drivers side into the passenger side to verify the mark I had made is roughly 180 degrees out.

I'm approaching 50K on my truck and looking into purchasing some plugs in a few weeks and will be cleaning the MAF and Throttle Body at the same time while things are taken apart.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #1188
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Indexing the plugs is moot in these, and most 4 valve heads.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #1189
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Indexing the plugs is moot in these, and most 4 valve heads.
That may be true but I'm still curious if that is the reason for the different plugs since I've never seen an answer other than Toyota has to buy both brands by law, or something odd like that.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #1190
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuck View Post
That may be true but I'm still curious if that is the reason for the different plugs since I've never seen an answer other than Toyota has to buy both brands by law, or something odd like that.
I've searched for a reason for this since 2002. Can't get a defined reason.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I've searched for a reason for this since 2002. Can't get a defined reason.
I'll post the results either way so you will know if indexing might be the reason or it blatantly is not. And as you said, it may not make a difference in this type of engine but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

I just ordered my six Denso plugs, couldn't believe the shipping cost almost as much as the plugs but that is the way the internet sellers bring you in. One place the shipping was a buck more than the plugs. And the local dealership would have cost me more. So $36.61 delivered isn't bad at all.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #1192
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
If it was significant, I believe parts counter would make a killing by selling 1 plug cheap and hike the price of the other plugs.
Instead I always get a box of denso, never a problem.

Unlike the older z24 engine in my Nissan yrs ago..... Crazy plug times.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #1193
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll post the results either way so you will know if indexing might be the reason or it blatantly is not. And as you said, it may not make a difference in this type of engine but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

I just ordered my six Denso plugs, couldn't believe the shipping cost almost as much as the plugs but that is the way the internet sellers bring you in. One place the shipping was a buck more than the plugs. And the local dealership would have cost me more. So $36.61 delivered isn't bad at all.
Take the parts guys lunch once in awhile
Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #1194

Quote:

I have experimented with indexing plugs for many years.yeah it doesn't seem to have any impact in the slightest except on carburated or throttle body injected engines, with inefficient 2 Valve heads.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #1195
JimROCDS is on a distinguished road
Marines: M60 Machine Gunner
Name: Jim
JimROCDS's Tacoma Gallery
For all we know, it was merely a business decision based on inventories of the types of plugs.

Jim
Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #1196

One thing a friend of mine mentioned, was a possible difference in resistance of the 2 different plugs. I haven't gotten a chance to test this, but if anyone in the metro Phoenix area has a set of NGK's, and Denso (both OEM) let me know. New or used doesn't matter.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #1197
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1198
itsky is on a distinguished road
itsky's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up, I'm at 90k now on my 4runner now and for the third time I've come back to this article for a guide. Appreciate the effort.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #1199
robu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob1224
robu's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done doing mine with my son helping. little over an hour and all buttoned up. thanks for the great write up!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1200
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the awesome write up! Just finished changing mine. I've got 56k on the ODO and this was the first time they'd been changed. The truck runs much better and the awful ticking noise seems to have subsided!

Products Discussed in this Thread